1. Default Oklahoma to North Carolina...Sep/Oct

Hi! My bestfriend and I just decided to take our first road-trip this fall! We will be traveling from Oklahoma to North Carolina, where we will stay with her family. Like I said...neither one of us has ever taken a road trip....so suggestions and comments are greatly welcomed! Any little stops a long the way we should take? Any giant ant farms or World's largest peanut attractions we should check out? Thanks soo much in advance!

-Ame
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-02-2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Toned it down

Default Tips?

Hi and welcome to the site!

Tips? Do your research (that's why you're here!), take as much time as you can (within reason), stay cool and just chill out and enjoy the journey.

Tell us about yourself and the journey. What are your interests, what do you want from the journey (get it over with or savour the experience - I would definately recommend the latter), which route are you thinking about currently?

You should take ten minutes to complete this quiz to help you decide what you what you want from the trip

And Don't Be Afraid to Just Wander Off
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

In general, your route will just be a straight shot down I-40, depending on exactly where you're starting from and where you're going. 'Oklahoma' and 'North Carolina' are fairly big targets. By the same token, this trip will take anywhere from two to three days, minimum. If you have the time to stop, and that is the road you'll be driving, then some places along the way that are a bit on the unique side and worth a stop include Mud Island in Memphis where you can walk the entire Mississippi (at a much reduced scale, of course!), Sun Studio and Beale Street also in Memphis, Great Smoky Mountains National Park on the Tennessee-North Carolina state line. Those are the biggies. Some quirkier things that might appeal to you are the Heavener runestone in Oklahoma and the Museum of Appalachia in Tennessee.

AZBuck

4. Default

Thank you guys for all the tips! It looks like we will be going in September rather than October. We will be taking I-40...from Oklahoma City to Raleigh, NC. A little about me..I am 23 and single and this will be my first road trip! This trip is just a vacation...that is badly needed!! We don't want to just go somewhere and hole up in a hotel. We would rather explore and see the sights. I'm so excited...I don't know that I can wait until September!!!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-03-2007 at 08:21 AM. Reason: All bold is considered shouting and rude. Please refrain.

Default Then Wander a Bit

If you want this to be more of a vacation than a trip from point A to point B and back, and you have the time (say a couple of weeks) get off I-40 and wander around the south. Besides the places I recommended in my first response, look at also seeing sites a bit farther afield such as Mammoth Cave and Cumberland Gap to the north of the direct route, the Outer Banks while you're in North Carolina, and great cites such as Charleston and Savannah to the south east.

AZBuck

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Carolina BBQ

Definitely get some of that great Carolina pulled pork bbq in the vinegar-based sauce. There are several Smithfield's restaurants along I-40. Nothin' finer than being in Carolina with some good bbq, hushpuppies, cole slaw, and sweet tea.

What would Andy Griffith say? --RoadDog

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Speaking of Andy Griffith...

Mayberry was based on Andy Griffith's hometown of Mt. Airy, about 40 miles north of Winston-Salem. If you have the time, you might want to check it out.