1. Default National and state park camping question

Do most parks require you to arrive before 5 or 6pm to pitch your tent or can you come in at say 8 to 10pm and setup your tent in a vacant camp ground?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Limits, but later

The policies are going to vary by individual campground, but I don't know of any campground that requires you to arrive and set up by 5 or 6. There may be places that you need to arrive by that time, if not earlier, to get a spot without a reservation.

Many places do have policies that discourage people from setting up camp during "quiet hours," but those don't typically start until around 10pm. Again, its going to depend upon the individual campground, I've arrived at many parks well after 10 or even 11 o'clock and set up camp without any problems.

Quite often there will be an 'honesty box' system in place whereby you take an envelope from the office on the way in, go find yourself a pitch you like and set up, then return to the office to deposit the envelope through a letter box. You then display a tear off section of that envelope either in the window of your car or on the little wooden post in the corner of the pitch to prove you've paid.

Don't even think of not paying - my neighbours were woken at 3am and evicted from the Smoky Mountains NP after they decided not to pay. Was quite hilarious! :)