1. Default Vegas to Yosemite Direct?

This is a great site! I read a few threads on here regarding driving from Las Vegas to Yosemite. My wife and I are driving from LV to Yosemite next week but we donít need to go through Death Valley as we have been there recently. Is it more direct to drive 95 north to 6 east to 120 east? Thatís what Yahoo maps suggests.

Central California

Default Seems so

Without having to deal with traffic in the valley, and not having to do the long climb out, not going through Death Valley would seem more direct. I can't imagine that the mileage would be that much different, but the time might be.

Craig Sheumaker

co-author A Traveler's Guide: America's Living History - The Early Years

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Possibly

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The route you've described does look like it would be a decent one, although I'm not sure how fast that route is. US-6 goes over a 7,000 ft pass in Nevada and CA-120 between US-6 and US-395 is closed in winter, so I suspect they both could be rather slow.

Of course there's no better way of knowing than by trying it yourself! At the very least you should have a nice scenic trip.

I will note that if you are just trying to get from Vegas to the Yosemite Valley as quickly as possible, you will probably be better off going around the Southern edge of the Sierras, via Bakersfield, and then back up to Yosemite.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default It is not faster....

Quote Originally Posted by vegasb72 View Post
    Is it more direct to drive 95 north to 6 east to 120 east? Thatís what Yahoo maps suggests.
    Like Michael suggests above,the southern route is the fastest -- with higher speed highways the entire way. US-95 to US-6 is a scenic road, but my choice if you are going to bypass Death Valley would be this one (US-95 to NV-266 to CA-168 to US-395 to CA-120). It is just about as fast, maybe faster as US-6, and flat out gorgeous. Megan uses this route for driving to San Francisco via Yosemite as well.

5. Default Thanks

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We are going to do the NV-266 to CA-168 to US-395 trip as mark suggested. I have never been on these roads and am excited about the drive!