Thread: 1st Road Trip

1. Default 1st Road Trip

I've never been on a road trip, and during Christmas break this winter my boyfriend and I are traveling from Columbia, MO (home town) to San Diego, CA then up the coast to LA, San Francisco, up to Seattle and then back to MO. Any Suggestions??? HELP!!!!

Tucson, AZ

Default Build in Some Wiggle Room

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Depending on how long you have for this trip it could be a wonderful excursion or an exercise in futility. I'd say you need at least two weeks to do this comfortably because, while under ideal circumstances you might be able to drive its 5200 miles in a comfortable 10 days. crossing the Rockies and the Coastal Ranges twice each in the middle of winter does not constitute ideal circumstances. If you leave yourself a cushion of a few days for the totally predictable 'unexpected' snowstorms, then you can take your scheduled time and see such wonders as Rocky Mountain, ARches, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks on your way to San Diego. Then experience the Pacific Coast Highway on your way up to San Francisco from Los Angeles. Hike in the Redwoods of the northern California Coast. Visit of View (depending on road closures) the majestic peaks of the Cascades including Crater Lake and Mounts Hood, St. Helens and Ranier. Then I'd suggest you return to Columbia by I-90/I-29/I-70 especially if the road into Yellowstone is still open, but in any event to see the Little Big Horn, Devils Tower, Mt. Rushmore, and the Badlands before following the Missouri river home.

Default San Diego to San Fran

Sounds like a very cool road trip! Last April I flew into San Diego from New York. We rented a car and drove up to San Francisco, stopping in Laguna Beach, Los Angeles, and Santa Cruz on the way. We switched back and forth between Highway 1 and Interstate 5. If you're not in much of a rush, I definitely recommend taking Highway 1. It's a beautiful drive all the way up. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.