originally from New Zealand, currently Jacksonville FL soon to be Bay Area CA

Default ONE WAY ROAD TRIP - FL to CA

Greetings all,

Ive decided since its getting close to our actual road trip date I best be getting on this here great forum and ask for some much needed help.

Thanks to all the great articles and advice Ive been reading on here Ive managed (I hope) to plan our Road/Relocation Trip as best I can. Confused? dnt be its still a Road Trip becos we're not doing the normal relocation as in straight to our new home destination but rather tiki touring around some of America to see a few of the noted attractions, and stopping in several states to visit Friends and Families for a few nites.

Heres our Route:
    ~Key for Route~
    HRS: Visiting for Hours - could be a cple hours or a lot more,
    NPS: Night-time Pit Stop
    DAY1: Spending 1 day and nite here
    DAY3: Spending 3 days and nites ... u get it huh? hehe

Jacksonville, FL (Start) > Chattanooga, TN (TN Aquarium and Rock City HRS) > Nashville TN (NPS) > Tiptonville, TN (HRS) > Memphis TN (for Graceland of course HRS) > Little Rock AR (NPS) > OKLAHOMA & TEXAS (straight thru only stopping for toilet stops and leg stretches - too many tornadoes and floodings in this area on the nightly news lately too risky) > Albuquerque NM (NPS) > West Jordan, UT (DAY2) > Provo UT (HRS) > Las Vegas NV (HRS) > Kingman, AZ (DAY3) > Anaheim & Wilmington CA (DAY3) > Stockton, CA (Stop)

We'll be taking turns driving and the most we'll actually be driving non stop is the AR, OK and TX stretch of 14hrs, followed with the 10.5hrs or so from NM to UT. We're aiming at completing the trip in 2 weeks tops - Leaving for the next destination as soon as Daybreaks. We'll only be driving during the day time and stopping at Night or trying to make it to our next destination before nightfall. Lately it's been getting dark around 8.30pmish and if we leave a cple of hours before sunrise - around 5.30am we shood be at our furtherest destination or at least close by it before it gets dark, enough to settle in and get some beauty sleep. What do u think?

We have friends who have made the drive from CA to FL going thru most of our route BUT we definitely need help for the NM to UT route and the UT to NV Route, we've taken the NV to AZ route before so we're familiar with it, Im esp looking forward to going over the Hoover Dam one last time before the new bridge is built.

We're hoping the gas prices keep coming down also, here in Jacksonville, they're currently the cheapest at $2.76 but we're not overly worried abt money, and also because we're leaving the weekend after Independence Day does anyone know what the roads are going to be like? We dont mind traffic at all and would appreciate having other travellers on the road in case we need help, Ive organised our Road Assistance, Double checked our Warrantee for the Car and all our families and friends are aware of our route and what day we shood be getting where... Im being very careful, esp since this is a new country for me and a new journey for both of us.

Can neone tell us whats the best and safest route to get from NM to UT and what we can expect landscape and road wise... is the reception good thru that ways for laptop and cellphones and is there much traffic? Also the same for the UT to NV route. What about weather - what can we expect in Utah or the Route thru to Utah in the month of July - can we see the Grand Canyon on this Route? Ne advice would be much appreciated.

And because we're relocating, we're sending our luggage ahead with the moving truck delivering strait to our new home (where it will be met by my sister) so we're travelling lite taking only clothing enough to see us thru the Road Trip, and because we're staying with Family in most of the states, we dont have to worry about our laundry and hopefully most of our food as well, heres hoping we're loved hahaha neway Im still excited yayy! lol.

Looking forward to ur help, setting off in T minus 12 days. WOOOHHHOOOO!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-28-2007 at 09:44 AM.

Default Road conditions

Quote Originally Posted by airetos View Post
    and also because we're leaving the weekend after Independence Day does anyone know what the roads are going to be like?
    Weekends in the Summer can bring out a lot of travelers to be sure, as can any typical Summer day. You will most likely encounter moderately heavy traffic, but I doubt that anywhere along your trip you will have to be worried about being totally isolated.

Can neone tell us whats the best and safest route to get from NM to UT and what we can expect landscape and road wise... is the reception good thru that ways for laptop and cellphones and is there much traffic? Also the same for the UT to NV route. What about weather - what can we expect in Utah or the Route thru to Utah in the month of July - can we see the Grand Canyon on this Route? Ne advice would be much appreciated.
    I would say the reception will be good on the major routes. There is traffic, but it is nothing like on the East coast
    Utah in July is usually hot and dry - drink plenty of water throughout the day.

Your schedule seems kind of tight to be able to see the Grand Canyon on your trip. Do you absolutely have to finish the trip in two weeks? If you could put in some more time, I think you'll find yourselves more refreshed than exhausted at the end of it all.

3. Default reception

Your best bet for reception is to check a coverage map with your carrier. Generally speaking in that area only the major routes and cities will have good coverage from all the carriers. You should have analog (old technology) in most areas, but if you are looking for data (cellphone w/ laptop) it might be sparse except of the major freeways.

Default Do LA or SLC later?

The big question is do you have to do both the Anaheim and the Salt Lake stops on this trip? Doing both really throws a monkey wrench in the works. The easiest to postpone is Salt Lake, from an itinerary planning point of view. After all, you'll be living near I-80 so you can drive out there in a couple of days after you get settled. Trying to work them both in, and the Grand Canyon, seems a bit much unless you can find a few more days.

Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood (we live about an hour and a quarter east of Stockton).

Craig

originally from New Zealand, currently Jacksonville FL soon to be Bay Area CA

Default Thank u... adjustments?

Thank u all for ur input, its been very helpful... unfortunately we do have to do both Salt Lake and Anaheim in one go, we have family in Salt Lake expecting us for my nephews Homecoming on the 8th and we're picking the nephew up in Albuquerque and we have to collect family in Anaheim to take to Stockton. Our timeframe unfortunately is within two weeks.. we cant get out of our lease until after today so we have the weekend to say our goodbyes and Monday to finalise checks and confirm all is completed here in Jacksonville and we have to be in Stockton by the 14th for our niece's First birthday. I shood have noted that in my previous post... sorry.

We'll take our time and we dont have to see the Grand Canyon, we can postpone that for another time... its not a must see right now.

We're taking two weeks off when we get there to settle in and relax so we're not too fussed abt being a little bit tired by the time we get there, at least we arent being bugged by family to come visit them becos we missed them during our Road Trip hahaha

Thanks again for the help, we'll make sure to keep to the main highways for coverage and again and again... THANK U ALL SOO VERY MUCH