1. Default our first road trip starting from minneapolis mn to the west coast and comming back

hello everybody,

my wife and I are planning to go on a very long road trip as follow:

starting: minneapolis,minnesota -> Madison, Wisconsin -> Milwaukee, Wisconsin -> Chicago -> Inianapolis, Indiana -> Cincinnati, Ohaio -> Louisville, Kentucky -> Nashville, Tennessee -> Atlanta, Georgia -> Jacksonville, Florida -> Orlando, Florida -> New Orleans, Louisiana -> Dallas, Texas -> Albuquerque, New Mexico -> Las Vegas -> San Diego, California -> los angeles -> Sanfransisco -> Salt Lake City, Utah -> Yellowstone National park, Wyoming -> Mt Rushmore, SouthDakota -> minneapols, minnesota

this roadtrip would be around 7,248 mi according to google maps. I will drive a ford focus 2001 that has 99,000 miles miles on it so far. we're thinking of driving through these cities mainly or just like stop in each for maximum of 2-3 hours besides Orlando and sen Diego, we want to spend 2 days each.

im interested to hear any advice for my roadtrip including recommended places to visit along the trip, where to stay, how much $$$ we should budget for (we're thinking 2000 dollars).. how many days do you think it would take us (we're thinking 10 days maximum). along the way, what hotales, motales should we stop at to rest ?... should we take highways or other routes ? any cities (areas in ciites ) dangerous to drive in ?

any piece of information would be very valuable for me and I hope to hear from you soon

regards,
    adam

2. Default

coming from Texas, in my opinion, you cant visit and not go to either Austin or Chorpus Christi. Me, being born in Chorpus, that's my choice, but Austins great for site seeing. Especially Lake Travis and the hill country surrounding Austin.

Default In a Word: No

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The trip you have laid out is simply not possible within either the monetary or time constraints that you have. Gas alone for this trip will run you around $900. Food will be another $300-400 absolute minimum if you eat all your meals out of a cooler and never set foot inside a restaurant. Even relatively low cost motels will run you another $500, so your entire budget is shot on the barest minimums with no funds left over to see anything, or more importantly, no reserve funds if (when) your 100,000 mile car needs repairs.

But as bad as your budget is, your time allotment is even worse. You claim that you're going to travel 7350 miles in 10 days. That's 735 miles a day. It simply is not possible to keep up that pace for that long. But you also say you want to spend 2 days each in Orlando and San Diego, leaving you trying to pull this off in just 6 days of driving. That's over a thousand miles a day! In a word: No!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The trip you have laid out is simply not possible within either the monetary or time constraints that you have. Gas alone for this trip will run you around $900. Food will be another $300-400 absolute minimum if you eat all your meals out of a cooler and never set foot inside a restaurant. Even relatively low cost motels will run you another $500, so your entire budget is shot on the barest minimums with no funds left over to see anything, or more importantly, no reserve funds if (when) your 100,000 mile car needs repairs.

But as bad as your budget is, your time allotment is even worse. You claim that you're going to travel 7350 miles in 10 days. That's 735 miles a day. It simply is not possible to keep up that pace for that long. But you also say you want to spend 2 days each in Orlando and San Diego, leaving you trying to pull this off in just 6 days of driving. That's over a thousand miles a day! In a word: No!

Thank you very much for replying.

when I said 10 days it was just an idea and when I said $2000 , it meant that's what we were expecting. these things could very much be extended. my friend as a naive first-time travaller on this long road trip I really have no idea. the longest drive Iv been to was from mpls to chicago which is 408 miles. my friend that's why I came to this nice forume to make sure Im planing right before leave. and thank you very much . can you please recommend how many days I should plan ? and how much money to spend ? thank you very much again

sincerly,
    adam

Default Start Here and Modify as Necessary

For a 7500 mile RoadTrip, I'd take a minimum of two weeks if you planned to spend most of it in the car viewing the passing scenery through the windshield, and closer to three weeks, again a minimum, if I actually wanted to see something along the way. Since you want to spend at least 4 days stationary in Orlando and San Diego, and since this is you're first major RoadTrip, I think you ought to seriously consider having a month in hand before you start out. As for funding. Start with the fact that this is going to be more expensive than your normal day-to-day cost of living (which to some extent you will still have to pay for - rent, insurance, cable bill) , so I'd plan on at least $3,000 and maybe more. Read through this post to get a better idea of what your expenses will look like.

AZBuck