1. Default Cross Country trip, San Jose, CA to Buffalo, NY - a couple of questions

Hello all,

I am moving from San Jose, CA to Buffalo, NY for a year to grab my masters, and I've decided to drive it over there with a few of my friends rather than fly. I've never done a trip that long before, so I have a few questions.

1. It's roughly 3000 miles to Buffalo (we're making a stop to see a friend in Minnesota). How many days do you think that should take?

2. Please list any/every site you can think of for me to hit up on my way there - we're big California road trip fans, so roadside attractions are in. We're also fairly outdoorsy, so anything along those lines will be good as well.

Tucson, AZ

Default Chew Your First Bite Well

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

1: I'd say leave yourself 6 days for the driving portion of this trip. While it might be possible to cover 3000 miles in 5 days, your stop in Minnesota is ill-suited to such scheduling. It will be roughly 2000 miles on the first leg and 1000 miles on the second leg, so a steady pace of 500 miles a day will break it down nicely, and still leave a little time to see a few things along the way.

2: Unless you have considerably longer than 7 days (assuming you're going to spend some time in Minnesota) there is no point to listing every site along the way. You will have time only to sample a few of the highlights such as Lake Tahoe/Virginia City, the Great Salt Lake, Cheyenne, the old Oregon Trail, the shores of Lake Michigan and Lake Erie, and Cuyahoga National Park.