1. Default Cross-Country Vechicle (for a student on a budget)

Hi, this is my first post here! My friends and I are planning a cross-country road trip before we graduate college in about a year. The only issue we're concerned with is that the group we'd like to take is somewhat larger than the capacity my car can handle. I've been looking into rentals, but as I'm still shy of twenty-five years, the prices look pretty steep. My sister and I were looking into buying a van that could seat about seven, or some sort of vehicle akin to a VW Bus. Unfortunately, I'm fairly clueless as to makers and models.

My question was this: What sort of car or van would you recommend for a college student on a budget that could handle a long trip and not break the bank? Thanks a lot :)

Green County, Wisconsin

Default According to your needs

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You're asking a pretty tough question, because there is no one size fits all answer.

My general advice would be look for something that will be practical beyond only your roadtrip. Buying a big van, if it is only something you are going to need for a single trip, certainly will be an expensive choice.

You didn't say what car or cars you currently have to work with, nor did you say how many people you think will be joining you on your trip.

If your group is 5 people or larger, your best and cheapest route will probably be to take two cars. That way you can work with the cars you already have, and you won't have to worry about making a major purchase that will tear a huge hole in your budget.

3. Default

Thanks for the advice!

The only car we have to work with is my Chrysler Cirrus - it's already handled Washington, Tennesee, and some of Canada, and I know it's in plenty good shape to make this trip. The only problem is that we've got a larger group (seven or eight). I've been wanting to buy a VW Vanagon for a while, actually, but I've been having trouble finding one. Taking two cars sounds like a good idea - the thing is, someone would need to get one (I know it sounds fantastic, but NONE of them have one). As I'm in the market anyway, I was thinking of finding a cheaper car with more seating than the one I've got (I always seem to need more room) - I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't fall apart on me.

Thank you for being the voice of reason, though - I'm sure we can come up with another car if buying a van fails. :D