1. Default roadtrip from DC to Amherst, MA

I'm planning on going on a roadtrip from DC to Amherst, MA. Any suggestions as to where I should stop and see along the route? Thanks!

Default Where do you want to go?

Welcome to the site.

The question is more 'where do YOU want to go?' There are dozens and dozens of places that I would enjoy visiting along that route but then, more importantly, would you? Possibly not... so let us know a little about you - how old, what are your interests, how long do you have to do the journey, camping or motels? etc.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default How long?

How much time do you have to make this trip? By the direct route, it is only about 400 miles; certainly doable in a single day. But if you have more time, then by all means there are several options.

I'd be inclined to take a ride up the Taconic State Parkway in New York, followed by some meandering into Connecticut, up US-7 and the into Amherst on MA-9. MA-9 is quite nice in the Western part of the state, as are many of the roads.

Are you by any chance checking out potential colleges?

I'd even go so far as to suggest heading up into Williamstown on US-7 and then over MA-2 (Mohawk Trail), then heading South on MA-112 and MA-116 to get into Amherst.

There are numerous chain motels as well as camping options along your route, as well as bed and breakfasts and mom & pop stops. What is your preferred lodging?

4. Default

As a matter of fact, I was only planning on visiting the Emily Dickinson Museum in Amherst, MA. But then I realized that it is not quite a short distance from DC to Amherst and there must be a lot of interesting tourist attractions along the route. I'm thinking about spending two or three days on this trip.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Tourist attractions en route

There definitely are many places to visit on this route, whether you head up through New York or Connecticut:

In New York:
    Vanderbilt Mansion
    F.D.R. Home & Museum
    Innisfree Garden
    New Windsor Cantonment

In Connecticut:

Mark Twain House
    Old Newgate Prison
    New England Air Museum

Just a few to get you started!