1. Default Driving from Riverside, CA to Texas

Hi ,
    I have a question or maybe considered a concern about driving to texas here from riverside, Calif.
    It will be my first time driving anywhere further than Tijuana, and I am a little weary about it especially because I am thinking of taking my six year old daughter with me. Everyone is telling me that it is too dangerous. Is it really as dangerous as everyone is making it out to be?

kathrynandkids
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-23-2007 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Combined Posts - Moved to Appropriate Forum

Default It is going to be an adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynandkids View Post
    It will be my first time driving anywhere further than Tijuana,
    Family road trips are the best! I am just working on such an article for MSNBC.com (so look for it in a couple of weeks). Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. In the meantime, here is a great thread for starting planning your special roadtrip with your daughter!

Mark

Default Relax, You've actually Done It Before

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Think of your trip to Texas this way. It's 'only' about 10 times as far as Riverside to Tijuana. So while it will take some more planning and, of course, more effort. it's not fundamentally different from your previous trips. Taken at an easy pace, say over 3 days, it can be a series of two hour drives to various interesting places. Do a few of those over a few days, and the next thing you know, you're in Texas. One of our guiding precepts here is that everywhere is somebody's home, and no place is boring. Give yourself permission to relax and enjoy some new scenery and especially the view through the eyes of a wondering 6 year old, and you'll have a great time.

AZBuck.

4. Default

Thank you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynandkids View Post
    Everyone is telling me that it is too dangerous. Is it really as dangerous as everyone is making it out to be?
    That is absolute rubbish. Of course you need to take the usual precautions that you would when driving around your own neighbourhood - just trusting your judgement is a good guide, if it looks like a dodgy area, then turn around and get yourself out of there - but always remember, everywhere is someone's neighbourhood and, more often than not, they'll be looking out for the wellbeing of visitors.

Have a read of this thread whilst you're here.