Currently in Raleigh, NC, re-locating to Glendora, CA

Default Company re-locating me from East to West Coast

Hey all, my company is re-locating me from Raleigh, NC to Glendora (East LA area) California. I won't have anybody coming with me, and my mom, of course, is somewhat worried about me. I was wondering if you had suggestions of reasonably priced motel/hotel's along I-40 (reasonable meaning between 50-80$ or is that too low to ask). I have $1200 moving allowance to make it out there, so just trying to be conservative with food and lodging. I'm thinking it will take me 4.5 to 5 days, but would realistically like to visit a few sites not too far off the "beaten path" too. My boss is giving me 9 days to get out there. Any suggestions on places to stay, places to see, etc? I can handle driving for at least 16 hours straight (although I would never choose to do that again lol!!) Any thoughts?

Default Thoughts

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think we all have the ability to drive a 16 hour sprint if we have to, but we also know that you can't do it for more than a day, and its not a real effective method for a multi-day long distance roadtrip.

Fortuantly, you won't need to drive anywhere near that hard. 5 days would be about right for a straight shot, where you make a few stops, but you are still driving all day.

$50-80 hotels shouldn't be hard to find at all along I-40. You'll have plenty of options, plus once you get to Oklahoma, you'll be following the path of Route 66, and there are plenty of old mom and pop motels at very reasonable prices along the old mother road. But the low to mid range budget chains usually fall in the $50-80 window anyway.

My advice, if you have 9 days, use at least 8 of them. Most people don't get to take cross country trips very often, so enjoy the trip and see as much as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    My advice, if you have 9 days, use at least 8 of them. Most people don't get to take cross country trips very often, so enjoy the trip and see as much as you can.

Any suggestions on where to stay, what to see? Thanks for the advice btw ;-)

Default Beautiful country

I don’t know much east of Texas, but I tell everyone to eat at the Big Texan in Amarillo.

I will be visiting Santa Fe for the first time this summer so can’t say first hand, but hear it is a really neat town. If you like history you have to see “sky city” west of Albuquerque. It’s an old Indian pueblo up on a mesa. It is said to be the oldest city in the US. Make sure and eat some New Mexican hatch chili!

Last summer, we got off of I40 at Holbrook and drove southwest. That whole area is gorgeous if you’re into beautiful country. You’ll have to make some tough decisions about where to get back on I40. Camp Verde is a good place that will put in back on I40 at Flagstaff—pretty town.

Just a few ideas.

Be safe!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-25-2007 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Preferred Link Format

5. Default A couple of suggestions..

I can only really talk about the very western section of your trip, but you'll be passing right near some places which you should at least stop and look at.

Oh yeah -- get a National Parks Annual Pass. If you visit a National Monument or National Park there's usually an entrance fee -- but the Annual Pass will get you into all of them for one fee. If you visit 3 or 4 you'll pay for it.

Coming west on I-40, some fun places to at least stop at visit might include:

- Albuquerque. Visit the plaza for a bit of history and culture, and definitiely try some of the New Mexican style Mexican food. Can be hot/ spicy, but is very tasty.

- Gallup. This is the closest big town to the Navaho Nation. If you're looking for Navaho silver or textiles or art -- this is one of the best places.

- Petrified Forest National Park. A couple of hours to drive through, but something amazing to see.

- Grand Canyon. You'll be about an hour's drive south of the Grand Canyon on I-40. You really should take the detour north and drive along the south rim. Really, you need to do this. (And FYI -- GC National Park, and Petrified Forest and one more national park or monument visit will pay for the annual National Parks pass)

- Las Vegas. Just for the night, just to see the lights. You can find very reasonable rooms in Las Vegas, particularly if you don't want to stay on the strip. You'll be 2 hours from Las Vegas on I-40, so if you have the time, you ought to look it over. You can spend several days in the area and not see everything, but it would be a shame to drive past without a quick look at least.

- Hoover Dam, on the way to Las Vegas.

Thank you for all of your help! :-)