Default Fall Foliage Trip Up Eastern Seaboard

Hello. I'm new here.

I've been asked by my recently retired aunt and uncle to help plan a detailed route up the eastern seaboard – north Alabama to Maine, then back to north Alabama.

They want to experience peak fall foliage in the northeast USA.

We need initial help acquiring data on:
    1. The very best locally owned restaurants along the way.
    2. Clean places to stay (hotels / motels / bed and breakfast)
    3. Proper routes to take
    4. Little-known points of interest and festivals along the way
    5. What type of clothing to wear in that time of year
    6. Caveats of a peak-foliage fall trip to the northeast

Your own experience, good websites, or any advice is much appreciated.

Default Is It Getting to be Fall Again Already?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

New England, despite its small size, has been the topic of many, many threads. Some while ago I gathered up some of the best here. That's still a good first place to look for ideas of what to see and do while there. For the very best experience, I strongly recommend that you look at smaller Bed & Breakfasts rather than more impersonal motels. To be honest, the best that I have stayed at in that area are no longer in business. So search the web and look for places with a charm that appeals to you or your aunt and uncle. Restaurants are another item where on-the-ground knowledge is going to serve you better than anything I can tell you. Northern New England in particular is full of small towns with locally owned restaurants. There are actually very few chains or franchises except in the larger cities. So just stop in almost any small town and ask for directions to the best local eatery. One place that I can recommend is in Montpelier, VT, which besides being the state capital, is home to a pair of restaurants run by the New England Culinary Institute. I've never been disappointed.

Unfortunately, fall foliage season in New England is all too brief and everyone jams the road at the same time trying to see it at its peak. There are a couple of things you can do to mitigate this. Realize that the traditional time for peak is Columbus Day weekend (Oct. 13 and 14 this year) and that is when things will be at their most hectic. If you can go even a week earlier or a week later, that will lessen the crowds quite a bit. The other thing to know is that most of the crowds do not venture north of the White Mountains so that while the Kancamagus Highway (NH-112), Crawford Notch (US-302), and VT-100 between Waterbury (Ben & Jerry's) and Stowe (the Trappe Family Lodge) will be bumper to bumper, roads that are just as scenic, such as US-2, VT-14, NH-110, and the Patte Brook Auto Tour will be practically empty.

Finally, when in Rome... New Englanders traditionally dress in layers, especially at this time of year. shirt, light sweater, windbreaker, parka, etc., adding and removing layers as needed. If the colors are peak it will be because the nights are quite chilly while the days are still sunny and warm. You will have to be able to respond accordingly. And don't miss the chance to see other foliage in the northeast. If you come up the spine of the Appalachians, basically using I-81, but also roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway or even the Natchez Trace, you can basically have color for your entire trip.

AZBuck

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Restaurants

Hi jd,

We need initial help acquiring data on:
    1. The very best locally owned restaurants along the way.
    Beale House Inn, Littleton, NH;

An absolute must : The Daily Planet, Burlington, VT -- try their crème brûlée;

For dessert : Ben & Jerry's Scoopshop on Church Street Marketplace, Burlington, VT;

Three Mountain Lodge, on route 108 near Smuggler's Notch (Jeffersonville);

The inevitable good ol' greasy spoon : Will-O-Bee Snack Shack, near Lake Willoughby on route 5A;

For average American cuisine with a nice view on Lake Memphremagog : Eastside Restaurant Newport, VT;

The place to go for seafood : Wormwood Restaurant, Camp Ellis, ME;

Auberge Ste-Catherine-de-Hatley : californian and swiss fusion cuisine with a breath-taking view. Amazing wine and port selection. Excellent food and service. On QC route 108 ~20 minutes across the border;

For dessert and coffee : Caffuccinno in Magog or Owl's bread (fine butter pastries) ~ 30 minutes north of the border. Stroll down rue Principale for an incredible choice of restaurants with terraces and outdoor entertainment.

For thin crust pizza : Piazzetta on Main St., Magog.

Hope this helps you a little.

Gen

Absolutely.
    Thanks to you both for the good information.
    I've included your posts in my little report I'm providing them.

I'll be back with some more specific questions before long - hope you don't mind. :)

What will be required to corss the border into (and back from) Canada?
    I don't know if they have passports or not.
    Last edited by jd4840; 06-26-2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: border crossing question