Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CA to NY- northern or southern route?

Hi All,

This is the first of what I'm sure will be many.....
    We're in the planning stages for a moving/road trip this July: San Francisco, CA to New York, NY. With an RV, a 3 year old and 6 month old twins, it's sure to be an exciting trip no matter what!

For those of you that have done a coast to coast trip before, would you recommend going through northern states, or a more southern route? Or somewhere in the middle?

We're going to try to take our time getting to NY, so any route suggestions you might have would be wonderful.

Also, any must-see stops along the way for the 3-yr old?

Many thanks in advance.

Megan

Default Can't Go Wrong

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Personally, I like a general route that follows I-70, and goes right through the heart of the Rocky Mountains and Utah.

But you really can't go wrong anyway you go, each path across the US has its own unique aspects.

One word of warning, RV's make lousy moving vans. There really isn't enough space to bring all of your stuff and comfortably live inside. If you want to make your trip across the country in an RV, make sure you have the rest of your stuff shipped.

Default Only essentials in the RV...

Thanks for your input-
    Yes I agree that an RV isn't a moving van! We're sending all our belonings on a separate trip with a moving company. :-) Only the necessities for the kiddos, which is a lot on it's own!

Megan

Default Is it a rental RV?

Quote Originally Posted by meganb View Post
    We're in the planning stages for a moving/road trip this July: San Francisco, CA to New York, NY. With an RV, a 3 year old and 6 month old twins, it's sure to be an exciting trip no matter what!
    Even if you are an experienced RV'er this check list can be very handy for checking out the RV before you hit the road, and if it is a rental -- print this same list out and take it with you when you pick up the rental.
    We're going to try to take our time getting to NY, so any route suggestions you might have would be wonderful.
    How long would that be. I can provide suggestions that would take two weeks to two months...

Mark

Default big change

This is quite a life-altering change you are making. We have a niece who did exactly that (an apartment in SF to an apartment in Grenwich Village - she loves it).

As far as routes go, what haven't you seen that you'd like to see - Yellowstone, Arches, Canyonlands, Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain National Park, Mt Rushmore, Frank Lloyd Wright's home in Chicago, St. Louis Arch, New Orleans, Dollywood, etc, etc? If you have the time you might as well see something worthwhile along the way.

Just be aware that you'll probably need reservations for RV camping in the major national parks in July.

You can find things to entertain 3 year old anywhere. At that age my daughter loved to float leaves in a stream and my son loved to climb a hill if we told him it was a mountain. Neither of them remembered any of it a month later.

I'm sure you know that, just like in a car, the kids need to be belted in while you are driving, so you need to restrict your hours on the road per day or take frequent breaks.

You sound like a patient person, and you'll need all of it for this long trip. As the old Eagles song says "Take it Easy."

Craig Sheumaker

co-author of America's Living History-The Early Years

Hi There-
    No, it's not a rental- we own it. My husband traveled the country with it many years ago, but it's been in storage since we had kids. Thank you for the list, that will be VERY helpful!

As far as time goes, I think we'll try for around 2-3 weeks- anything more than 4 -5 hours of driving per day would be too hard on the little guys.

Thanks again for your input!

Default Sights to see...

Quote Originally Posted by RedCorral View Post
    As far as routes go, what haven't you seen that you'd like to see - Yellowstone, Arches, Canyonlands, Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain National Park, Mt Rushmore, Frank Lloyd Wright's home in Chicago, St. Louis Arch, New Orleans, Dollywood, etc, etc? If you have the time you might as well see something worthwhile along the way.

Just be aware that you'll probably need reservations for RV camping in the major national parks in July.
    Thank you so much for those ideas... There are so many choices, it's hard to decide where to go. I think I'd like to see Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone. DH and I are big FLW fans too, so perhaps we'll try to put some of his houses on our itinerary. Great idea! Graceland would be fun too.

Thanks for the heads up about reserving space at nat'l parks. I'll try to reserve spots as soon as we know where we're headed.

Default San Francisco to NY -- Cross Country Jaunt

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently working on planning the Portland to Yellowstone leg of our family cross country trip.

Right now, we're planning on taking I-84 along the gorge to Eastern Oregon. From there, I need help choosing between 2 routes:
    1) take 395 to I-90, and follow I-90 thru WA and Montana and enter Yellowstone from the north. OR....
    2) continue on I-84 thru OR and Idaho to I-15, and up to Yellowstone from the south.

We'll have to make 1 or 2 overnight stops along the way, so I wonder which route you all think might offer the best sites and places to stop. We'll be driving a truck with a 5th wheel RV. We've never been to Idaho or Montana before, so I don't know which one to choose! Help!

We have a three year old and twin babies (who will be 7 mo), so strenuous hikes are out of the question. Stroller friendly trails/sights would be more our speed. Other than that, my husband and I love american history, culture, and photography.... so anything you can recommend along those lines works.

Any input or suggestions you can offer would be great.

Thanks!
    Megan

Default Both nice routes but....

Quote Originally Posted by meganb View Post
    I'm currently working on planning the Portland to Yellowstone leg of our family cross country trip.
    Actually, I would just take US-12 and cut off the longer route up to I-90. Lots of pretty spots along US-12 for camping.

Mark

Default Hwy 12 is a good choice

Be aware that you'll have to look close for it all along your route as it merges with other main highways in places along the way. However, with your truck/5th wheel combo, you might find some of the windiness and grades a bit more challenging. But it's not bad and, if you're comfortable with that type of road, I say go for it! It just depends on your comfort level. Hwy 12 takes you through the Nez Perce area and away from most of the major cities and really does have some breath-taking views. The scenery will change from relatively flat and desert, to rolling hills and grasslands, to forest so you'll get a good variety.

Actually, that description also applies to the I-90 route. You'll get a good variety of scenery that way. So, if you would rather stay on an interestate with your rig, that might be a good option.

However, the I-84 is a beautiful road as well but you won't have quite as much of a variety of scenery. It tends to stay more rolling hills and grasslands with a deserty feel to some of the areas. Less forests until you get closer to Yellowstone. However, if you go this way you can visit Craters of the Moon which is a really cool lava field. That's definitely worth seeing.

So I guess it really depends on what kind of scenery you want to see along the way. The overall mileage on all the routes are pretty similar so that won't make much difference in your decision.