1. Default Moving from San Francisco to Montreal

Hi guys,

I am planning to move from San Francisco to Montreal, and I have decided to drive and make a road trip.

Last solo trip I had was from New Orleans to San Francisco. Last time, I decided to drive non-stop, which was really stressful and not enjoying. It took me 39 hours to drive 2400 miles. I slept only 4 hours.

This time, I would prefer driving more relaxed, and see some places while I am driving. I know that this trip will be slightly longer than the last one (about 3000miles). I am planning to see Salt Lake City, Denver, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto and Niagara Falls.

What advice would you give me. I have a two door coupe car, and it will be full of my personal belongings (as it was last time when I was moving from NO to SF).

Thanks a lot for your help.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Generally we don't recommend driving much more than 500-550 miles a day. This is about ten hours a day, which, depending on where in the country you are, can be a very joyous time, or entirely stressful. As you have found out, driving non-stop really isn't fun (though I'm sure you probably thought it would be at the start!)

Niagara Falls isn't on the most direct route - it is about 50 miles East of that, so the choice would be whether to head back on to the Canadian route, or to cross back into the US and explore New York.

About how many days do you have to make the trip? If you are not too pressed for time, that will open up your options substantially, such as the leg to Denver (which is also not on the most direct route).

3. Default

Even though I don't have a specific time period, I would prefer finishing my road trip in 6-7 days period.

The only reason I thought I would stop on Denver is because I thought it is on my way. But I guess you are right. Probably I should not stop there.

What path would you recommend me? Shortest path that would include some places to see.

Thanks for your reply

4. Default

So, any suggestions for me?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

5. Default

I finally came up with a plan. But if someone has any other suggestions, I would really appreciated. I hope this time I can get a response. Here we go:

I will start from San Francisco around 6.00 A.M and drive non-stop to Salt Lake City Utah. It will be 750 miles. I will get some rest in a motel. Next morning, I'm planning to wonder around the city.

Probably around 2.00 P.M, I will get on the road again and drive to Denver,CO. This part will take 540 miles. I will stop again in a motel. Next morning will be the same.

Again, around same time 2-3.00 P.M, I will drive to Omaha, NE. It will be again around 500 miles.

Next, I will go to Chicago. I'm planning to stay there for 2 nights. I would like to see Chicago, it is a nice place.

From Chicago, I will pass to Detroit. I will stay there one night.

Next morning, I will drive from Detroit to Toronto. I am planning to stay there a night or two.

Finally from Toronto, I will drive to Montreal.

I just would like to know what I should see on my way. I know that I will be driving most of the time. But considering after Salt Lake, I will be driving 500 miles a day at most. So, this will give me almost a half a day to see the places.

If you can recommend me anything, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot

Tucson, AZ

Default Too Much Up Front

Unfortunately, your first day is going to be a killer as it now stands. 750 miles is close to 13 and a half hours of driving, even with minimal gas, food and bathroom breaks. It's going to be an exhausting drive, and while you allow yourself until 2:00 the next day to get back on the road, you then expect to make Denver at some presumably reasonable hour. Salt Lake City to Denver is 540 miles or a minimum of 10 hours driving. This would be a gorgeous drive, but if you don't get started until 2:00 much of it will be after dark.

The rest of your legs are more reasonable, and you may actually have at least a little time to see things, but 500 mile driving days will not give you almost a half day to see places.; They will give you 2-3 hours at most. That said, my recommendations for some spots along the way would be the landmarks of the Oregon Trail; the Amana Colonies and the Illinois River Road; Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore and/or Warren Dunes State Park; Point Pelee National Park and Niagara Falls; and finally, the Thousand Islands region.

You said in your first post that you did not want a stressful drive, but a more relaxed one with time to see some of the places you'll be driving by. Your current plan allows for some of that, but is heavily front-end-loaded so that your longest driving days come first. I'm afraid that that's not the best plan, tiring you out early on, and that you're being overly optimistic about how much 'spare time' you'll havelater in the trip. Still, I wish you luck.