1. Default Driving from Austin,TX., then Lubbock, TX, then Albuquerque, New Mexico, then Ouray,c

Does anyone know of any fun things to do along the way, like must-see sights, restaurants, etc. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Robert

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

One place you may be interested in is the Million Dollar Highway, coming out of Durango, CO.

If you head North from Lubbock towards Amarillo, you can check out portions of old US-66.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Billy the Kid interest you?

Buffalo Gap Historic Village in Buffalo Gap, TX, south of Abilene might be fun. It has several historic buildings from various time periods.

If you're a fan of early rock, you might like the Billy Holly Center in Lubbock.

Fort Sumner State Monument, in Fort Sumner, NM, gives you a bit of the sad history of what we did to the Navajo and Apache Nations there...with a bit of help from Kit Carson.

Fort Sumner is also the heart of Billy the Kid Country with his grave at the military cemetary, a museum, and more to check out.

Wildlife West Nature Park in Edgewood, NM

I love the "Old Town" area of Albuquerque. Interesting architecture and shops/restaurants. And this is hot-air balloon heaven. You might google to find out about various companies that have rides. Rainbow Ryders is supposed to be good.

Coronado State Monument, north of Albuquerque, is pretty cool. They have an ancient kiva (rounded, stone building) that was excavated with lots of ancient artifacts there. I found this fascinating. There's also the ruins of an ancient pueblo. This is an area where Coronado's army camped while searching for the fabled Cities of Gold.

Just a bit farther north is the Zia Pueblo. Another very cool ancient artifact.

You'll cross the continental divide on US-550 near Cuba, NM. This is always worth a look.

Yet another interesting ancient Native American ruin is Salmon Ruin near Bloomfield, NM.

You'll go through Durango, CO. This is a great place! I just love the way it looks driving into it. The train ride takes you through great scenery. If you don't have time for it, you might enjoy the museum. There are also jeep tours into the mountains to see ghost towns and other fun stuff.

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Default A few more things in ABQ

Hi Robert,

Judy and Tim have given you a lot of great suggestions and you can find more in this thread. A few more places that I’d suggest are:

Tinkertown, east of Albuquerque, not too far off of I-40. From here you could continue all the way up to Sandia Crest.

If you visit Old Town Albuquerque, take some time to visit the Albuquerque Museum of Art & History.

The Indian Pueblo Cultural Center has a very interesting museum.

And there’s the Sandia Peak Tramway. I love the Tram. The ride up is fun, it’s not too expensive, and the view from the top is tremendous.

For reviews of some Albuquerque restaurants look here . Here's three that I like.

The Range Café

Route 66 Malt Shop. Tasty food and really good homemade rootbeer.

Sounds like you're in for a great trip. Have fun!