Default Mini weekend roadtrip - Toronto to Detroit

Two friends and I are planning a short road trip this weekend and was wondering if anyone could recommend me a cheap (yet clean!) hotel or motel?

We'll be arriving late night on Friday (around 10 or 11pm) so ideally somewhere easy to get to from the highway.

As we'll have a car I'm not too bothered about being in downtown and don't mind somewhere 10-20 miles outside.
    We'll be staying Friday and Saturday night and going back on Sunday afternoon.

The main attractions I want to visit are the Henry Ford museum, the Motown museum and probably take a look around downtown Detroit, so anywhere near or with easy access to them would be ideal.

Budget of around about $50 a night if that's reasonable?

The main problem is that we don't know which areas are good to stay in and which to avoid.

Also any other tips are much appreciated!

Default Henry Ford Museum

Quote Originally Posted by lotus1 View Post
    Two friends and I are planning a short road trip this weekend and was wondering if anyone could recommend me a cheap (yet clean!) hotel or motel?
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- I personally don't have a recommendation for this area -- the last time I was in the area I was staying in a motorhome. You could the search engine we support -- but you may well get some local intel here in a day or so.
    The main attractions I want to visit are the Henry Ford museum
    that is a very cool place -- here are some old... photos from there.

Mark

Thanks for the welcome!

In the end I've booked a hotel near the airport and that seems the simplest to get to (as it's just off the highway) and from my research seems safe enough.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Don't miss the DIA!!

Hi lotus,

In the end I've booked a hotel near the airport and that seems the simplest to get to (as it's just off the highway) and from my research seems safe enough.
    I agree, this is probably safer than staying in the downtown area. If you have some extra time on your trip, you should stop by the Detroit Institute of Art on Woodward Ave. They feature a 4 wall mural by Diego Riviera on the automobile industry that is absolutely stunning . Try to locate the small red car.

Gen