1. Default a summer quandry

This may come across as a very vague general question, but I plan to do a road trip from new jersey to california in august...I plan to spend 24 days to go back and forth...with some mild site seeing...My problem is, my only itinerary includes, washington dc, dallas, san diego and La...I have no idea how to budget what places I visit in between...I would like to see a well rounded picture of america but keeping into consideration I don't have forever to do so...ack help :(

Default Quandry indeed.

Hi,

I'm assuming you can make this a bit of a loop, not needing to see each of these towns while traveling one direction or the other, or both. That way you can take the southern route going there, and a middle route going back, or vice versa.

To help clarify, the first question is, how many actual driving days do you have? If you need to spend a couple of days at each of the cities you mention (and considering the things to see in each, you may want to), there won't be much time left over for other sightseeing.

The second question is, are there any kinds of things you have no interest in, or lots of interest in?

Give us a little more to go on, or the list could get really long.

Craig Sheumaker

Co-author of A Traveler's Guide: America's Living History - The Early Years

3. Default

I don't intend I spending more than 1-2 days in the cities I mentioned...as for California, my midpoint so to speak, I would like to spend at least 3 days. I plan to make it a very driving oriented trip but hopefully passing some cool things along the way...which brings me to my interests..I guess I have to narrow that down myself...I just want to get a better sense of America..being from the Northeast I am much to comfortable with this sense of life...I like the wierd and ghost story type places but I also like the americana aspect of landmarks and vistas and beautiful places...Im a bit of a photographer...and well I am also a big fan of nightlife...being a 24 year old single guy...

I hope this makes a little more sense with my question.

Default Par for the course around here

Quote Originally Posted by rocker83 View Post
    ... but I plan to do a road trip from new jersey to california in august...I plan to spend 24 days to go back and forth.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! RedCorral has already given you some ideas to think about. I would suggest you start to define what kind of roadtrip you would like to experience. We refer to this as the roadtrip profile and there are some ideas here.
    I just want to get a better sense of America..being from the Northeast I am much to comfortable with this sense of life...I like the wierd and ghost story type places but I also like the americana aspect of landmarks and vistas and beautiful places...Im a bit of a photographer...and well I am also a big fan of nightlife...being a 24 year old single guy...
    Well there are lots of ideas on this Forum that you can incorporate into you own plan -- I think you would benefit from reading some of the journals we have listed here -- and maybe looking at the Quest-4 web site --

Happy Planning!

Mark

5. Default

You gotta do the PCH drive from San Francisco to LA. It's one of the most beautiful stretches of land I've seen in America.