Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default First USA-road trip - New York to Miami

Hi guys,

me and my friend are planning a trip leaving New York 27 july and returning back on the 14 august. We want to drive down to Florida and back, grabbing as muck fun as possible on the way.

I've made a map here.
    The red dots are places we are sure we want to visit, the blue are "maybe's"

Just to share our background we are two guys 26 y.o from Norway. Our goal with the trip is to get the biggest taste of USA possible, and hopefully experience some of the steretypes we seen in movies and tv-shows.
    It's NOT my meaning to insult anyone, and anyway I have a polar bear as a pet ;)

This is our ideas so far:
    -few days sightseeing NY
    -Staing in non-conformity motels along the way as.
    -Visit small & friendly places
    -Being real tourist in Florida with everything that follows.

I have a few questions to anybody who wants to help us out:

-Is there in any way possible to get a roundtrip in a prison? (without breaking the law)
    - What about ride with a NY-police?
    - Is the Sopranos-house in New Jersey?
    - Is it a good idea to have a cabriolet? Or is it so hot you need to have it up at all times...? Remember, Oslo is 59,92° N :)
    - Would people be offended if we ask to film them (If they have anything interesting to say) We hope to meet alot of fun and friendly people that can bring some essence of the country we always have wantet to visit.

Best regards everyone,
    hoping for answers :)

Default You have a polar bear for a pet????

Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian_friend View Post
    We want to drive down to Florida and back, grabbing as much fun as possible on the way.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Let's see you would have about 17 days (travel days) for this trip. By the fastest possible route it will require six full days of driving to cover the minimum 2600 miles and so looking at your schedule, it looks doable -- although some of the days will be long in order to squeeze in all of those stops. Your trip will probably be closer to 3200 miles by the time you return to NYC.
    Just to share our background we are two guys 26 y.o from Norway. Our goal with the trip is to get the biggest taste of USA possible, and hopefully experience some of the stereotypes we seen in movies and tv-shows.
    Well, you will only be seeing a small portion of the USA and so you may not have an opportunity to see examples of the western and California culture that has led to so much of the hype and stereotypes you see in Hollywood films.
    It's NOT my meaning to insult anyone, and anyway I have a polar bear as a pet ;)
    How does this work? Seems a little like raising a Grizzly bear or an African Lion in your backyard. I have to ask WHY?
    This is our ideas so far:
    -few days sightseeing NY
    -Staying in non-conformity motels along the way as.
    -Visit small & friendly places
    -Being real tourist in Florida with everything that follows.
    What is a non-conformity motel? Here is an excellent thread with ideas for visiting some of the places you might be interested in. And a short article about the Florida Keys.
    -Is there in any way possible to get a roundtrip in a prison? (without breaking the law)
    Do you mean a tour? Yes, there are several places that would allow that. But one of the problems (same with the police ride-a-long) is that you usually have to be a local US citizen.
    - Is the Sopranos-house in New Jersey?
    Yes, but I don't know where.
    - Is it a good idea to have a cabriolet? Or is it so hot you need to have it up at all times...? Remember, Oslo is 59,92° N :)
    If you want a convertible -- get it -- just be prepared to run the A/C full blast all of the time.
    - Would people be offended if we ask to film them (If they have anything interesting to say) We hope to meet alot of fun and friendly people that can bring some essence of the country we always have wantet to visit.
    Probably not -- lots of people do similar things on road trips.

Mark

Default Some ideas

Welcome to the RTA forum!

I'm not a Soranos watcher, so I can't help you much there - although I suspect the show is just filmed in California.

I'm also not sure how available prison tours are, but I suspect if you called around, you could at least get a look inside a county jail. You might also have more luck with an old jail that has been turned into a historic site - although I'm not sure where there might be one on the route.

A Convertable (aka a cabriolet) could be a lot of fun, but it will cost a lot more money. Its impossible to say what weather you will see on your trip, but I'd say you'd at least have some time on your trip where you could enjoy the top down.

And don't worry about pictures, you'll find plenty of people who will be more than happy to take your picture no matter where you go!

4. Default Thanks for your answers so far

Quote:

How does this work? Seems a little like raising a Grizzly bear or an African Lion in your backyard. I have to ask WHY?
    This is a joke, I once met a american who claimed that most US-citizens thought that polarbears roame the streets of Norway, when actually probably just 1% or so of the population have ever seen a polarbear, less an ordinary bear.

What is a non-conformity motel?
    I mean motels thats special and have their own style. Sorry for the bad language.

We have gotten an offer for a convertible for abouth 1000$ for the full period with full insurance and milage. Is that an good offer do you think?
    I also wonder if there any chance that you suddenly get an old car (2003 or older)?

Welcome!

Here's a prison you can tour: Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia, PA. I haven't been there in years, but I vaguely remember it as an interesting tour. I don't believe that it's currently in use, but I'm fairly certain it's open to anyone who would like to visit.

I agree that, presuming you ask first, and choose people who seem friendly, you won't have too much trouble with getting people who are willing to be filmed. My experience (outside of midtown Manhattan) is that most people in the country are fairly friendly. When you are in New York, make sure to get out of midtown, because the people who actually live here are much nicer when there aren't randomly milling crowds of tourists getting in their way!

And if you want to see an American stereotype, you should stop at "South of the Border" in Dillon, South Carolina. It's appallingly tacky, and filled with more stereotypes than you would believe. :) If you're driving down I-95, you'll see signs for it for hundreds of miles, so you really can't miss it.

Default Rental Cars

$1000 doesn't sound like a bad rate, but its hard to say without shopping around since rates can change so much. If that's the best deal you could find, then it probably is a good deal.

As long as you are renting from a major rental company, you will be getting a car that is at most a year or two old. If you get a car thats older than a 2005 or 2006, I'd be shocked.

Default Historic Sites

Howdy (American for Hello),

Two excellent historic places that will give you some good insights are Williamsburg/Jamestown Settlement southeast of Richmond, Virginia (representing the early history of the "colonies", and the Kennedy Space Center (for all the cool space stuff America is famous for) in Titusville, Florida.

Of course, there are lots of other great places, but these two are uniquely American and "must-see" places.

The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is very popular (most visited national park in the country), but it will take quite a bit of time out of your schedule. If you go there, try to see the Biltmore Estate near Asheville, North Carolina.

Welcome to the US, and have a great time.

Craig Sheumaker

Co-author of A Traveler's Guide: America's Living History - The Early Years

8. Default Thanks for great answers

I'll think I wait with Smokey Mountains for the return trip, then we'll see if there's time.
    Do anybody know some good travel-books for the stretch Im going?
    Also, do you know if there is any good place for white-water rafting and bungee-jumping along the route?

9. Default Try the MILES System

Hi guys,
    do you know if it's possible to try the MILES system somewhere between New York and Key West?
    For those of you who don't know MILES stand for "Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System" and is used for combat training purposes several places in the world. It's sounds more fun than paintball :)

Hope somebody can help.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default NC's Outer Banks

We'vr always enjoyed the Outer Banks of North Carolina. At the north end, you can see the site of the Lost Colony, England's first settlement in North America and one that disappeared. You can also see the site of the Wright brothers' first flight.