Default Cross Country trip

Hi, my friend and I have been talking for a while about taking a multi city (ideally California to NY or NY to California) roadtrip, hopefully for 3 months.

We'd be flying in from Britain so if there are any brits on here who've done similar trips in the US, how does the Visa situation work and what companies are good to plan and book through?

Also, any advice on car hire vs buying, possible pitfalls/dangers...ANY info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default We can help you with some of that

Quote Originally Posted by oobs View Post
    Hi, my friend and I have been talking for a while about taking a multi city (ideally California to NY or NY to California) roadtrip, hopefully for 3 months.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Three months is a great span of time for a road trip. To get started you might think about what kind of road trip you each have in mind. We call this Your RoadTrip Profile. More information here. Also you might also want to take this quiz and talk about the responses and how you will deal with the probable frictions that will arise on a three-month adventure.
    We'd be flying in from Britain so if there are any brits on here who've done similar trips in the US, how does the Visa situation work and what companies are good to plan and book through?
    Visa -- you will need to speak with your consulate --
    companies to book through...
    Are you looking for a packaged tour? If so, there are some excellent companies but the great thing about a road trip is that you may not need them -- you can be your own trip planner.
    Also, any advice on car hire vs buying, possible pitfalls/dangers...ANY info would be greatly appreciated.
    In my view, three months is the minimum time that purchasing (and then re-selling) a road trip vehicle would make sense -- but I think I would still use a rental service or one of the companies that will sell you a car and then guarantee to re-purchase it from you when you are done. One of these companies is this one, but we don't know much about their services.

Here is some information about the various types of insurance you will need -- read the entire thread for discussion about insurance for a vehicle you purchase as well.

Also read our tips on this page.

I hope this gets you started.

Mark

Thank you!!!! :) that's an excellent start!