Thread: LA to Chicago

Default LA to Chicago

Planning on driving alone from LA to Chicago with stops in Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, and Des Moines. Think I-10>I-15>SR 93> SR 60> I-40 >I-80. Any tips on planning would be helpful. Also, what are the open flame laws on the big stretches between Phoenix & Denver and Denver & Des Moines? And any tips on educating family members of the real, not imagined dangers of this trip?

Default Zig Zag, Open Flame?

Welcome to the RTA forum!

First of all, I'm not sure what you mean by Open Flame Laws. Are you talking about campfire regulations or am I just totally missing what you are getting at?

Second, I think your route is a litte screwy. I think you are planning to go to Vegas to Phoenix, and then up to Denver (via I-17, I-40, and I-25?) before taking I-76 to I-80 and across.

Is there any reason you need to include Phoenix in this trip? It is really a long way out of the way for this journey.

If it is essential, then I would go there first, and then go Las Vegas and onto Denver via I-15 and I-70. I think the backtracking distance going back West to Vegas after Phx is quite a bit less than the extra miles you'd add by going back south to Phx on your way to Denver.

Default Open Flame explained

I am visiting friends in each city. and I am trying to find out the campfire/bbq regulations. I am taking the 40 to I-25 to I -80. Sorry I left that out.

I thought about going to Phoenix first, but the backtracking seemed unnecessary, and I'd avoid the mountains on I-70

and 'open flame' is what it's called in municipal fire codes
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-19-2007 at 10:39 AM. Reason: continuation of same idea

Default Safety on the road

Quote Originally Posted by flyerk1 View Post
    Also, what are the open flame laws on the big stretches between Phoenix & Denver and Denver & Des Moines?
    Open flame laws are set by lowest ranking jurisdiction -- whether that be county, city, regional or state park or USFS of an area. So, for your road trip, the practical way to discover this information is simply to go there and ask when in the area. Open flame laws change according a prescriptive set of fuel burning indices and our colleagues on the national fire service information services have a devil of a time keeping the various web sites current. The one general rule, that is almost universally enforced is --- NO open Flame between July 1 and September 30th anywhere west of the Mississippi. Now, of course, there are going to be exceptions (especially if the flame is confined to a constructed fire enclosure or bbq), but as a former wildland firefighter -- that would be MY rule if I was still in the business. I have humped a heck of a lot of fire hose up near-vertical cliffs in pursuit of fires that developed from unattended campfires...
    And any tips on educating family members of the real, not imagined dangers of this trip?
    Two things -- the first is to remember that everywhere you will be going is someone's home turf and so the normal rules of self-protection will work there too. Second, read this article that I wrote about safety on the road.

Mark

Default Inevitable Backtracking

Quote Originally Posted by flyerk1 View Post
    I thought about going to Phoenix first, but the backtracking seemed unnecessary, and I'd avoid the mountains on I-70
    Well, its pretty much inevitable that you'll have to backtrack to hit both Las Vegas and Phx on your way to Denver, the question is how much backtracking do you want to do.

Going to Las Vegas and then all the way back south to Phoenix and then back north to Denver is about 80 miles farther than going to Phx first. You will still be going over mountains with this route, but you would avoid the heart of the Colorado Rockies if that's important to you for some reason.

I will also note that if you skip Phx altogether for this trip, you'd also save more than 400 miles, so you are basically adding another full day on the road to make this stop. I don't know how important that stop is, but if you live in LA, you might want to save that stop for a long weekend in the future.