Default Forest Lakes to Winslow Back Way

We would like to drive from Forest Lakes AZ (east of Payson on 260) to Winslow the back way, which is on back roads instead of using 87. One way is to head through Heber and then up 377 and then west on 40, but we'd like to go straight north on back roads and then up 99. Does anyone have good info on this latter route, like is it paved, treacherous, or... ?

Default USFS roads

Quote Originally Posted by shm777 View Post
    We would like to drive from Forest Lakes AZ (east of Payson on 260) to Winslow the back way, which is on back roads instead of using 87.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! The challenge of that route is that you will need to cross the Mogollan Rim and Plateau and although there are several graded, gravel roads that connect Forest Lakes with AZ-99, none of them are OK for passenger vehicles. None are really treacherous either -- If it were me, I would take USFS Road-99 to USFS Road-170 to FS-504 to AZ-99 and then up. And actually, I would stop in at the Mogollan Rim Visitor Center and inquire about the condition of the roads from the locals. Here is some more info about the scenic roads in this area.

Gerald Thurman has crisscrossed most of this area and you can read his field reports here,

Mark

3. Default Mostly "OK" roads

I've driven the roads back into Chevelon Crossing (see your map) from a couple of directions -- probably 504 going in and 169 coming out back toward Christopher Creek (it's been awhile, I don't remember for sure which roads). Lots of passenger vehicles roam around back in there -- but as Mark said, inquire locally about current conditions and specific roads. Most of them aren't usually TOO bad; plus winters have been dry, and this year's rainy season isn't here yet.

I drove a high clearance 4wd Ford Ranger, but didn't need the 4wd ever and probably not the high clearance most places either. You may get flat tires from sharp rocks (I have), so a good spare is a must and the tools to change it -- if I'm going too far into the back country on these rocky roads I would even take two of them. Bob

Default Lower tire pressure!!!!

If you decide to drive these back roads. Drop the tire pressure to 18 to 22 lbs. Under-inflated tires can often roll over sharp rocks without getting flats. You can re-inflate when you reach paved roads again, using a power tank (like I do) or a 12-v air compressor (I also carry one of these).

Mark