1. Default Red Sox at Anaheim and Baltimore...

Hi everyone!

I am currently planning my move back home to Boston from Los Angeles this August. We're trying to catch the Red Sox in LA before we leave and in Baltimore along the way. This means that we can't leave until the morning of 8/7 and need to be in Baltimore for a 1:35 start on 8/12. Is it reasonable to do the drive in 5 days? What are good cities to stop in? How many miles should we aim to do in a day?

Also, when I've looked at google maps, their suggested route is to go up by Chicago, but going through Kansas City looks more direct to me - is there a reason for that?

Thanks!
    Clare

Default Baseball RoadTrips

Quote Originally Posted by cbh1128 View Post
    I am currently planning my move back home to Boston from Los Angeles this August.
    Wow, a move and a baseball roadtrip. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. You are probably in luck -- the Moderator of the Day -- Midwest Michael -- is an expert at this form of a roadtrip. But I will muddle along in his absence -- the fastest route is about 2600 miles from Angel Stadium to Baltimore. So, if you drive at least 10 hours each day you will be able to make that game on the 12th with no problems. I would read and follow these tips for conducting a safe Speed Run and also read Michael's tips about baseball roadtrips in general.
    How many miles should we aim to do in a day?
    To keep your schedule you will need to do at least 525 miles each day. On a couple of days, you can safely push it to 600 if you need to sleep in on another of those days-- but you really need to keep the pace up.
    Also, when I've looked at google maps, their suggested route is to go up by Chicago, but going through Kansas City looks more direct to me
    I also looked at Google Maps, and even Kansas City is too far to the north. Look at this route.

Happy Planning!

Mark

Default Who Knows What Evil Lurks in The Hearts of Tin

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are three different possibilities for a basic route between Los Angeles and Baltimore that differ by no more than 50 miles out of a total of around 2700. So depending on the precise algorithms a particular bit of mapping software uses, it could end up sending you down any of the three. My choice would be the 'middle' route, both in terms of geography and mileage. It's also the one I think that you're referring to in that it goes through Kansas City. This would be: I-15 up into Utah and then just I-70 all the way to Baltimore. I-40/I-44 to St. Louis would be about 30 miles shorter, but I think I'd spend those miles in order to see Utah and Colorado.

Let's see, you have 5 solid driving days to get yourselves to Baltimore so that you can get a good night's sleep before the game, and you have to cover 2700 miles, so 540 miles per day. a good, steady and totally doable pace. You should then be aiming to stay around Richfield, UT; Denver, CO; Topeka, KS; and Indianapolis, IN. And as a general rule, you should try to stay on the eastern sides of those cities so that you start out in the morning you're heading away from town rather than fighting a morning rush hour. By the same token, get an early start out of LA, of course!

AZBuck

Default Goal Oriented

Google Maps told you to go through Chicago when traveling from Anaheim to Baltimore? That's just bizarre. It would make since if you were going straight to Boston, but there's no way you should go that far north for this trip.

I think your trip should be just fine though. 5 days is enough time to make a quick trip across the country without feeling too rushed. I've done similar trips, where I make plans to see a ballgame or a concert somewhere along my general route, to give me an additional goal as part of a roadtrip. The one downside, is doing this can force you to be a little rushed, and you'll have to make sure you are making good progress so you get to Baltimore on time.

Otherwise, I think you are in for a treat. I think Angels stadium is a very underrated park, and Camden Yards is a classic just for the way it reinvented how ballparks were designed, and I think it does have a feeling thats really quite similar to that of a more modern version of Wrigley Field.

5. Default

Thanks for all the advice! And you're right - I was looking at the route for LA to Boston and then adding a stop for Baltimore... I know better now :)