Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chicago to Kentucky - Any KY must sees?

Hello!

We are planning an extended weekend roadtrip to Kentucky later this summer. I was wondering if there are any must sees or great things to do in KY. Any suggestions are appreciated!

We are planning to visit the central, northern, and eastern areas of KY.

Thanks!!

Default Kentucky

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It may be a bit out of the area you plan on seeing, but if you can, you should really take one of the tours through Mammoth Cave National Park. Others on these forums have spoken highly of their tours through one of the Kentucky Bourbon Distilleries. Kentucky has a number of great state parks, some of which rank as 'resorts' and might make a lower cost alternative as a place to stay. I have visited on of them, Natural Bridge State Resort Park, and was quite impressed. Finally, consider a tour of some of the horse farms in Blue Grass Country.

AZBuck

Default Happy Hunting Ground!

Quote Originally Posted by etoiles View Post
    We are planning an extended weekend roadtrip to Kentucky later this summer
    As you may know, we have a Funny Roadside Sign department on this site, and Kentucky is one of those places that tends to have some great signs. Here is the Kentucky list. Also KY is a great state for finding music festivals -- here is the site I use when I go looking. And Mass Tim filed this report about a trip between Ohio and Kentucky you might find helpful.

Mark
    Last edited by Mass Tim; 06-17-2007 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Field report source :-)

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Stay at a Wigwam

If you get to Mammoth Cave, stay at the Wigwam Motel at Cave City. That is some real history and quite unique. We had a great time having a bonfire out in the middle of the teepees.

Also, in Bowling Green, go by the site of Duncan Hines.

In Bardstown, eat at the early 1800s Talbot Inn.

Definitely visit a bourbon distillery. There are about 8 within an hour of Louisville.

In Elizabethtown, go to the Schmidt Coca Cola Museum and look for the Civil War cannonball in the building in the town square.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

Thank you for all the suggestions! I never knew there was so much to see in Kentucky... :)

Default The Louisville Slugger

Plus,

You can check out the Louisville Slugger, one of our roadside marvels....

Mark

Default A great state

Quote Originally Posted by etoiles View Post
    Thank you for all the suggestions! I never knew there was so much to see in Kentucky... :)
    Before the first time I went, I wondered if there would be anything at all to see in that state. After having been there four times, I started to think it might be a place I'd like to call home for awhile. While that's still up in the air, I can vouch for the variety of fun roads and natural attractions in the state.

If you find any really great places to eat, please let us know. That is the one thing I have been unable to find.

For food I checked the Food Network's website and found some places in KY that they recommend so we will check some of those out and let you know!

Default Two Kentucky spots

Hi,

Kentucky is a beautiful state with lovely scenery and lots of interesting things to see. In addition to, or expanding on, what has been mentioned:

1. Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill - I can't say enough about how good this place is. The sense of peacefulness, the interesting buildings/architecture/furniture, the craft demonstrations, riverboat ride, the great family-style food, and the fact that you can stay there overnight all make it a day or two well spent! It is between Lexington and Harrodsburg.

2. In Harrodsburg see Old Fort Harrod, a fine reconstruction of a late 1700s - early 1800's frontier fort once commanded by George Rodgers Clark (older brother of William Clark).

3. Fort Boonesborough is a fine reconstruction of the defensive settlers fort built with the help of Dan'l Boone just as the Revolutionary War was about to begin in 1775. North of Richmond, KY.

4. The tour of Maker's Mark (a small, high-quality distillery) was very good, as is their product (don't know if it is still true, but the county they are in used to be dry so you couldn't sample at the distillery!)

5. Even if they aren't running the Kentucky Derby, an afternoon at Churchill downs is fun.

6. The tour of the Louisville Slugger bat factory (and golf club factory) was great for fans and non-fans (and duffers and non-duffers) alike.

7. If you are in Louisville for a day you gotta have lunch or dinner on a riverboat.

KY is one of our many favorite "eastern" states, which is why I see I have more than two spots to suggest.

Craig Sheumaker

Co-author of A Traveler's Guide: America's Living History - The Early Years

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Tours and Hot Browns

There are brochures for a grand tour of seven or eight bourbon distlleries and another one for John Hunt Morgan's three sorties into Union territory during the Civil War. Another tour takes you on Historic Highway 31, both E and W (for some reason, there are two alignments through Kentucky).

If you go into any restaurants, especially around Louisville, have a Hot Brown sandwich. You'll be glad you did. The Hot Brown is to Louisville as the Horseshoe is to Springfield, Illinois.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. RoadDog