1. Default Boston to Miami, My First Road Trip

Hello!

I'm planning a road trip down the East Coast of the US for April next year for me, my other half and 2 friends. This will be our first road trip, and my first trip to the US (infact only my 2nd trip outside of Europe). We've decided to start planning now to give us plenty of time to get things sorted.

We're planning on going to the following places

Boston
    New York
    Philidelphia
    Washington
    Blue Ridge Parkway
    Atlanta
    Savannah
    Miami (with probable stops in Orlando for Disneyworld and the Space Centre)

We've got 16 days for the trip. I'm hoping this should be plenty of time. All the others have been to NY before so we won't be staying there more than a couple of days, with about a day each in the other cities.

We are considering getting trains on the Boston to Washington leg instead of driving so we don't have to worry about having a car in the middle of the cities. What are the trains like? Is it worthwhile or is it easy enough to park a car?

With regards to the Blue Ridge Parkway, what places are good to visit/stay along the way. I think we'll probably try to split that section into atleast 2 days worth (450-odd mile is a long way for one day! Especially as we'd like to see some of the scenery), with a day the the Great Smoky Mountains NP too.

Does anyone have any other must-see places along the above route? Any suggestions of places to eat, stay, see etc are more than welcome.

Thanks

Matt

Default A great "first-timer" of a roadtrip!

Quote Originally Posted by MattPollard View Post
    I'm planning a road trip down the East Coast of the US for April
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Your time span of 16 days seems very doable.
    We are considering getting trains on the Boston to Washington leg instead of driving so we don't have to worry about having a car in the middle of the cities. What are the trains like? Is it worthwhile or is it easy enough to park a car?
    That is a good plan, the trains are, for the most part, very comfortable and easy to use.
    With regards to the Blue Ridge Parkway, what places are good to visit/stay along the way. I think we'll probably try to split that section into atleast 2 days worth (450-odd mile is a long way for one day! Especially as we'd like to see some of the scenery), with a day the the Great Smoky Mountains NP too.
    Here is a thread that addresses some of the Blue Ridge Parkway

Here is another thread that I think will be helpful to you.

Hope this helps you get started.

Mark