1. Default CROSS COUNTRY ROAD TRIP-looking for small towns

I am planning a cross-country road trip at the end of July with two friends from New York to Los Angeles, partly to get home and partly because I've been wanting to do so for as long as I can remember. I want to drive through the south--I am mostly interested in seeing Texas, South Carolina, Georgia and New England, etc I really want to find small towns and also check out pretty old-fashioned cities like Charleston.
    -Would three weeks be enough time?
    -Should I be worried about hurricane season if I plan on travelling at the end of July? My dates are fairly flexible, is there a better time of Summer/early Fall that would be better?
    -What cute quaint Southern small towns can anyone recommend?
    -Any other suggestions in general would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Three weeks is a good amount of time to do this trip, and I wouldn't be overly concerned about the hurricane season, since you will have ample warning that such a storm is developing - unlike tornadoes, which have a much shorter lead time before developing.

If you truly want to get into some small towns, by all means stick to the US and even state or county routes wherever you travel. A good map is a must for this type of trip. Some of the more interesting towns I have found on trips were those that were those with populations between five and twenty thousand, usually indicated in the atlas with a small, bold font. Often these towns are located where they are due to some geographic feature, such as the meeting of two rivers, or a rail town.

Quote Originally Posted by allieh88 View Post
    I want to drive through the south--I am mostly interested in seeing Texas, South Carolina, Georgia and New England, etc
    I can assure you that New England is not the South! Maybe you meant New Mexico?

3. Default

Hi! Thankyou so much for the response! And I meant New England in the sense that I plan on going cross country along the south (I'm thinking of taking the US-80 across) and then driving up the Atlantic Coast through New England up towards New York. But a friend recently suggested taking the 10 across instead...any suggestions?

Default I-80 vs. US-80?

Quote Originally Posted by allieh88 View Post
    And I meant New England in the sense that I plan on going cross country along the south (I'm thinking of taking the US-80 across)
    Um, sorry, but I am still confused. "New England" refers to the six states located in the northeastern section of the USA (consisting of the states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont). But maybe you meant only as a destination? In any case, there is no currently marked US-80 -- there is I-80 in the northern section of the country (an interstate highway), The original US-80 went from Tybee Island, GA to San Diego, CA but most it only lives on in the memories of road geeks. I-10 on the other hand does connect the east and west coasts of America.

Mark