Default LA, Vegas, San Francisco - November

Hey ,

In November we're over for a Wedding in Las Vegas - the plan is to fly in to LA at the start of the month, spend 3/4 days there, then drive up to Las Vegas, spending a few days there before the Wedding on the 8th.

The plan was to then drive to San Francisco via Death Valley, Bishop, Yosemite etc before spending the last 3/4 days in San Francisco.

After finding out - largely from here thanks! - that the likelyhood of getting across Yosemite at that time of year is slim, we're trying to think of an alternative...

So leaving Las Vegas on the 9th an San Francisco on the 18th what options do we have? Sequoia Nat. Park? Monterey? Death Valley? Route 1?

What route makes the most sense? We'd like to avoid having another night in LA if we can...

Default Overthinking

Welcome to the RTA forum!

I'd say you'd have about a 50/50 chance than Tioga Pass could still be open since your travels will be in early/mid November. The later in the month, the lower your odds of it being open.

That said, even if it is closed, its not that big of a deal. You'll just have to go around the south end of the Sierra via Bakersfield, and then go back up to the Yosemite Valley. You could also hit Sequoia on your way there, if you have time.

Our original plan had been 2 nights Death Valley, overnight in Bishop, 2 Nights Yosemite, 1 night Monterey, 3 nights in SF.

If we went through Bakersfield it looks like we'd want to do something more like 1/2 nights Death Valley, 1 Night near Lake Isabella, I Night Sequoia Nat. Park, 1 Night Yosemite, 1 night Monterey, 3 nights in SF.

Does this sound doable, or too much...

Going on Google driving times here - not wanting to do ? 4 hours a day really...

If we went back to the Coast would we have more time in places?

Default Much more likely!

Quote Originally Posted by dankell View Post
    If we went through Bakersfield it looks like we'd want to do something more like 1/2 nights Death Valley, 1 Night near Lake Isabella, I Night Sequoia Nat. Park, 1 Night Yosemite, 1 night Monterey, 3 nights in SF.
    That is certainly doable -- except for...
    Going on Google driving times here - not wanting to do ? 4 hours a day really...
    Google Map times are not realistic -- what you can count on is that you will be able to average ~56 mph driving these roads (assuming you are driving closer to 70 whenever you can). I think you will find yourself on the road 5-6 hours each day, since you will be stopping to enjoy the views as you go.

Here are some more trip ideas for you.

Mark

I think you will find yourself on the road 5-6 hours each day, since you will be stopping to enjoy the views as you go.
    We'd certainly expected to be stopping and looking at places :-)

Was more wondering how good Google's US driving times were as they're a bit optimistic for the UK...

Any more ideas? Is the coast route better? Should we drop something (a night or a stop?) and spend more time at any of the locations mentioned?

Default we did a similar one way trip

last September from Vegas to San Fran.
    Day One
    we drove from Vegas thru Death Valley and stayed in Mammoth, CA (north of bishop) in one day (picked a hotel, think it was the Quality Inn).
    Day Two
    Next day we drove through Tioga Pass into Yosemite and stayed at the south entrance of Yosemite in Oakhurst, CA the 2nd night (stayed at the Best Western, really nice and restaurant right on site) plus the Mariposa Sequoia grove is right there. you can choose to stay longer if you wish, we are going to come back in a few years in the spring as Yosemite was pretty dry last year, not as many water falls...) - As they mentioned, Tioga Pass may be closed in Nov... I would check w/ the National Park Service first.
    Day 3
    We drove from Oakhurst, CA through the farmlands and rolling golden hills to San Fran and spent 3 or 4 awesome nights right on Nob Hill at the Nob Hill Motor Court (highly recommended)

This is definately a doable trip but in Nov i would be a little worried about Tioga pass being closed, maybe you can still do a loop but thru Tahoe instead???

THanks for the help so far!

Quote Originally Posted by dankell View Post
    So having decided to do the above where would be best to stay?

Will we need to book places this far in advance?

And what roads should we aim for / avoid?

Dan