1. Default CT to Indianapolis, IN and back

Hey there folks. This is my first post here. Thanks to all the contributors on this site. There is tons of great advice here.

My brother and I are going to see the Brickyard 400 Nascar race in Indianapolis, IN on July 29th. We decided to make it a road trip. We plan to leave Connecticut on the Wednesday prior to the race. and use a full week after the race to get home.

We plan to keep the trip as random as we can, but I have made a rough map of a route I was originally thinking about. I made the map on google maps. here is a link to it

I was thinking that I'd like to run south through Tennessee and North Carolina on the way home, but it seemed like it could be too much for timeframe I have. I think we're going to take a more direct path home from Indy. Your thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default Looks (Almost) Fine to Me

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Your trip looks reasonable. (or as reasonable as such 'random' trips ever do!) You're planning on covering a bit under 2000 miles in the week after the race, which is well within reason, and you'll be wandering through some of the more picturesque parts of the eastern US. Now there must be some thought behind this. Most folks would not have chosen to return this way, particularly up the Delmarva Peninsula and skirting the New York area (both of which I applaud by the way). But if we knew what you had in mind we might be able to point out some neat places along the way. For example, you're going to be passing disappointingly close to Mammoth Caves and Great Smoky Mountains National Parks and the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area to not include them in your itinerary. And there is obviously a lot of history in there as well.

3. Default

Thanks for the information. When you say within reason, are you speaking of including the Tennessee and North Carolina area? Or should it be a more direct route? I'm worried that I'm biting off a little more than I can chew. As far as interests, I'm a bit limited as far as mobility on foot, so anything with somewhat easy access would be great. (Unfortunately, no long hikes or antything like that.) I'll take into account the areas you suggested and see if we can fit some of them into the itinerary. Quickly looking at the Smoky Mountains parks website shows some very nice road tours through the park. Also, in North Carolina we're hoping to catch some of the Nascar race team shop tours for some of our favorite drivers. In Tennessee, I'm hoping to catch a country music act or two and check out the Country Music Hall of Fame. Beyond that it's really open to whatever comes our way I suppose. We hope to also catch a ballgame or two at a major or minor league ballpark. I'm eying the schedules of some of the teams of interest hoping they'll be in town when we pass through.

Anyhow, 1 month away this weekend and I am extremely excited already.

Default Cool!

Jim, I'm jealous, can I come too? :)

Who is your favourite driver? I'd definately recommend visiting Mooresville and Concord if you can. Although don't do what we did and just roar into town expecting to see everything on the spur of the moment, check out for an organised tour. I've not used them but I hear good things. When I went the circus had left town for the next race and there was little to see (we couldn't even find DEI despite having a map!) An organised tour would take all the hassle out of it.

Ballgames? You'll not find me arguing - always good fun.

I reckon you'd do well to read some of my previous threads as they may give you some ideas:

Atlanta and Talladega (pre-planning)
    Houston and Talladega via Dallas, Memphis, Birmingham and New Orleans (pre-planning)
    Houston and Talladega via Dallas, Memphis, Birmingham and New Orleans (report)
    Atlanta and Bristol via Nashville and Chattanooga (pre-planning)

Best of luck with the plans and hope you have a good trip.

5. Default

Thanks for the links Craig. Tickets are still available for Indy. Feel free to help yourself. I'll see you there :-)

Keithville, LA

Default More Indy Info

I just got back from a roadtrip to Indy last week for the US Grand Prix. Here's another trip I took there two years ago that encompassed the Northeast as well.

I haven't done a lot of travelling in the southeast, so can't help there too much. That's something that I really need to rectify since I live here.

Default Already invited!

Quote Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
    Thanks for the links Craig. Tickets are still available for Indy. Feel free to help yourself. I'll see you there :-)
    When I was at the Aarons 499 earlier this year I was sat next to some bikers from Indianapolis. They were greatly amused when I stood up and cheered and whooped and hollared for JPM at driver introductions (and then had to duck the flying beer cans lol) and they spent the rest of the day telling me what a great day the Brickyard 400 is and told me to come visit. They said it was the best race on the schedule (hmmm... have they never seen Bristol? :)) so I'm sure you're gonna have a great time. Be sure to let us know how it goes. Good luck and give Monty a wave for me :D