1. Default Bowling Green, KY to OKC, OK

I've never been to this part of the country and just discovered I had an extra day to explore....the original plan was to spend 1 night in Memphis and move on to OKC. But now that I have an extra day, I would like to rethink that plan. So basically, I have plans in Bowling Green for a Wed morning and would like to be in OKC by a Saturday evening.

What would you do? Where would you go? I'm thinking along the lines of a beautiful state/national park - that has cabins, geocaching, family friendly hiking or your favorite family friendly city events.

I'd love your recommendations!

Tucson, AZ

Default Beautiful Country to Cross

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

What would I do? Well, I'm particularly partial to historic locations and geology. Fortunately, locations that are interesting geologically or historically are often scenic and family friendly as well. Such places along your general route include Shiloh National Military Park, and Mud Island River Park. There are also some nice relaxing hikes in Natchez Trace State Forest (TN), Holla Bend National Wildlife Refuge (AR), and Sequoyah National Wildlife Refuge (OK). You can also take a different route west from Little Rock. Rather than taking I-40, take I-30 for a bit and then US-70 through Hot Springs. Continue westward on US-270 to US-59 south to Mena, AR where AR-88 and OK-1 are the Talimena Scenic Drive. At the far end, US-271 north will return you to US-270 west to OKC. This later way will also bring you close to one of Oklahoma's "Resort" state parks, Robbers Cave. Also, whichever way you go, don't overlook the other state parks in Tennessee, Arkansas, and Oklahoma.

3. Default

Thanks for the recommendations!