Default Advice on Best camping spots in Cali ??

Hey all...
    I'll be taking a month and a half or so road trip this summer across the US from Jersey through north states, then back through southern states. We'll be camping at campgrounds, parks and such when possible, and giving ourselves about 2 or 3 days a week in a motel.

I was wondering about laws regarding pulling off the road: if we pull off the road, far enough off so that other cars (and cops) wont see us, and set up a tent for the night before hitting the road again in the morning, is this legal?

Our major goals in terms of sleeping are enjoying camping when we can instead of staying in motels and keeping costs down wherever possible. Any hints or suggestions?

Default Stick to campgrounds

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There is a simple rule of thumb to answer your question, when you preface a statement by saying you will do something "where cops can't see you," odds are it is almost always illegal.

In this case, it is almost always the case as well. I'm not sure where you think you will find these good places to pull off the road where you won't be seen, but even if you do, odds are you'll be trespassing on private property.

The only real exceptions are on some federal lands, like in National Forests or BLM lands where dispersed camping is allowed. You have to check with each park for their specific rules, but generally as long as you are a certain distance away from the road and a certain distance from waterways, you can camp for free, but you have to pack everything in and out.

Otherwise, you'll be much better off shelling out a few dollars for a campsite, where you'll have things like garbage cans, restrooms, and sometimes showers.

Default Advice on Best camping spots in Cali ??

Hello again,
    So the roadtrip for this summer is well on its way. We had to cut down a lot of it because of money issues (AKA GAS PRICES.....) but basically we're still going from Jersey to San Francisco, then Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, and back across to the East Coast.
    We decided that instead of hitting as many parks as we can on this trip, we were going to keep the same trip length (1 month approx) and camp for 4 or 5 days instead of 1 or 2 at each park we visit.

So our major stop is Yosemite. Any advice from people who camp there on the best campgrounds to stay at? We're planning on staying at about 3 different campgrounds so we see as much of the park as we can. We're looking for the most beautiful and interesting places to camp and hike.

Also, same question for Kings Canyon, Sequoia and Death Valley... Best places to camp there?

Looking forward to the advice! Thanks

Default --- Best Places to Camp in Yosemite ???

Does anyone know a few great campgrounds in Yosemite national park that they would recommend?
    We're looking for the most beautiful, memorable places to camp. We're planning to stay in at least 3 places while there.

Default Best Places to Campin Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks

Hello,
    Does anyone know any really nice places to camp in Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks?
    We're looking for the most beautiful places to stay, at least one or 2 places in each park..
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-12-2007 at 10:46 AM. Reason: navigation to similar threads

Default It is pretty warm to camp in DV

Quote Originally Posted by DreamdaySunshine View Post
    Death Valley... Best places to camp there?
    But I would say, that I really like Wildrose campground and the primitive camping areas on the south side of the racetrack playa.

Mark

carel05 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    But I would say, that I really like Wildrose campground and the primitive camping areas on the south side of the racetrack playa.

Mark
    Wildrose campground is the best!