Default Christmas Road Trip

Through a series of lucky breaks I've got 11 days off at Christmas this year, from December 22-January 2 (I work at a community college and they've decided to give us the same dates as students!). My family doesn't really celebrate Christmas and two of my friends are in similar situations.

SO we decided that this Christmas we're going to take a road trip, leave on Saturday the 22nd and come back sometime around New Years (the trip doesn't have to be that long but it could be). The problem is we're lost as to where to go.

This will be my fifth road trip in about 4 years but one of the first where I had to do significant amounts of driving. I don't love to drive but it's by far my favorite mode of travel.

Last summer we visited Toronto and Ottawa Canada and we would love to go back to visit Montreal and some other places we didn't have time for. However we're worried about snow and winter weather.

We'll be starting in Winston-Salem, NC. In the past we've had a tendency to visit large cities, and we've covered most everything in our immediate area. We like historical places but we also like to be somewhere with some interesting things to besides touristy stuff.

We've tossed around the idea of the Outer Banks, Canada, some place warm (need more input on that one), or some where unique and different.

Obviously it would be nice to do something Christmas-like on Christmas and it'll be necessary to be in a town large enough to have food service available. So in all honesty the trip itself is the main feature since a lot of the attractions will be closed for the holiday.

Any input that you could throw in would be helpful. I love coming here cause I can always get new and interesting ideas about where and how to go.

Thanks!

Default Everglades or the Keys?

Quote Originally Posted by jlmickel View Post
    The problem is we're lost as to where to go.
    I never have that kind of problem -- even I never have enough time to roadtrip (and I do this professionally...)
    We've tossed around the idea of the Outer Banks, Canada, some place warm (need more input on that one), or some where unique and different.
    Have you been to the Keys or to Flamingo, Florida? It is easy to book a canoe trip in the mangrove swamp to the east of Flamingo and that is an awesome experience.

Here is an awesome thread for some more ideas!

Mark

Default Ooooh Christmas...

DO you know, I really like the idea of a Christmas roadtrip! I have really hated Christmas for many years and it bores me so much that all my friends will disappear off and I'm left on my own with nothing to do. We're also forced to take a ten day holiday so actually going someplace and doing something interesting sounds like a plan. How much is open at that time of year, though?

Default Christmas Closings

Most places just say that they are closed for Christmas Day and New Years Day. Since that's when most school children have a couple of weeks off and so do college kids I would think that a lot of places would still be open and catering to travelers.

I've never considered a Christmas Road Trip. I bet that would be fun. Except, I have no time off then and usually wind up working all hours of the day and night playing gigs around that time of year. Actually - I usually wind up sleeping through Christmas Day itself every year. Who's up for a Christmas Day party with Laura? :)

With 11 days you could comfortably make it to Texas or Louisiana for some warmer weather. There's a trail of lights from Marshall, Texas to Natchitoches, LA every year. Lots of festivals, etc going on during the winter season in the South.

Laura

Default Fun!

This is actually giving me ideas...!

Are National Park likely to be closed (apart from weather related) over Christmas?

hmmm... I've been wanting to visit Australia for quite some time... never thought about doing it at Christmas... I could make quite a trip out of it. 2 weeks of 07 holiday entitlement, the enforced Christmas break, then 2 weeks of 08 entitlement. Intersting...

Apologies for taking over your thread, jlmickel... but I like your ideas and will be closely following how your planning goes.

Oh no problem everyone. I'm glad people are actually getting some ideas from all of this.

As far as stuff being open my guess would be that in the larger cities there will be some food service stuff open, shops and things will surely be closed. Lots of times the movie theatre will open for Christmas Day releases. But the rest of the week (Xmas is on a Tuesday this year) I figure that won't be a problem.

National Parks will probably be closed through much of the time, but that's not really my cup of tea anyway.

It's funny that Texas and Louisiana were mentioned, talking with a co-worker she also mentioned going in that direction. There is a really nice set of connecting highways that take you all the way around most of the south (I-95 to Hwy 10 in FL, then up some highway connecting to I-40) and that way we could hit a number of sights.

But I'm still thinking and will chat with my possible co-trippers. I'm also wondering if I could just make it to the other side of the country, but I know that would just about kill me as far as driving goes.

Default Winter is actually very popular

Here are some links that I update each year for winter road trips (I haven't checked them yet this year...)