1. Default Irish - looking for advice: Chicago-Houston

Hi,

I came acoss the site when looking for info on a trip. Certainly very informative. I would appreciate people's opinions on the above trip. I know there may be info elsewhere so apologies if this is a repeat.

Myself and family (wife & 2 kids - 14 & 9) are spending about a week in Chicago early July. We leave there on a Sunday and need to be in Houston Thursday night. As I see it, the best way would be to do three stages which would mean 2 stopovers on the way down with a full day (2 nights) in each. It would be nice to mix the two days i.e. maybe one stopover at a theme park/water park and one at a ranch/national park lodge type of thing. So I have two questions;

(1) Am I right in thinking that aiming to go from Chicago to southern Missouri (there seems to be anumber of theme parks in Missouri) in a day is not too bad a drive.

(2) If I go from Missouri heading for Houston, I could go through Arkansas or Oklahoma. Which would be better if I am looking to stop off for a ranch / national park style stopover - and suggestions would be welcome.

Then I obviously hope to get to Houston in a day from this second stopover.

If anyone has any ideas they would be most appreciated.

Kind regards

Default Chicago to Houston -- ideas

Quote Originally Posted by iedowm View Post
    Myself and family (wife & 2 kids - 14 & 9) are spending about a week in Chicago early July. We leave there on a Sunday and need to be in Houston Thursday night.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! By the most direct route, (due south to Memphis and zag west) it is about 1100 miles and would take 2.5 days if you were on the road for about eight hours each day. You could do it in two days if you were on the road 10 hours -- but that seems a bit much for the family and if you are hoping to spend some R&R time at any of these stop-overs, you need to allow an extra full day of traveling to cover this distance.
    (1) Am I right in thinking that aiming to go from Chicago to southern Missouri (there seems to be anumber of theme parks in Missouri) in a day is not too bad a drive.
    If you go by way of St. Louis, (stop and see the ARCH!!!) it would be a full 11 hours of travel.
    (2) If I go from Missouri heading for Houston, I could go through Arkansas or Oklahoma. Which would be better if I am looking to stop off for a ranch / national park style stopover - and suggestions would be welcome.
    I don't think there are any national parks on either route (except for Hot Springs NP - which more like a town) but Arkansas is a gorgeous state, with beautiful lakes and country side -- are you interested in camping or inns?

Mark

3. Default

Thanks,

Don't plan to camp. Would like to try to get a night or two in a lodge / cabin if we can.

If the most direct route is via Memphis, are we better following that road and stopping along that route - skip St Louis. Would mean (I guess) stopovers in Tenessee & Arkansas maybe.

To be honest I'm open to ideas. The only fixed points are leaving Chicago on a Sunday (early no problem) and arriving into Houston Thursday (late no problem).

Thanks again