1. Default Two Teens Driving from Tampa to Washington D.C

Hey everyone Ive been surfing this forum for awhile now and I noticed you guys are great about giving people information, advice and tips.

Im posting becuase me and my friend are taking a road trip from Tampa to D.C this week. We have a hotel in the distirct (bussines district been told to becareful at night) our reservations our checking in Friday and checking out Monday. We are hoping to be able to use Friday as our first day checking out the city. I have been several times (my family has grown up there) but my friends has never been. We where planning on leaving sometime Thursday late afternoon-early evening so that we would arrive some time friday late morning. I have done this trip once before when one night I jumped in my car and left, I drove straight through without stopping, I left around midnight after working all day so as you can imagine I got preety tired around south carolina but I made it safe(very very tired) and stayed with family for a few days before driving home. It was a great experince and Im glad I did it. Im wondering thoe if you guys have any tips or advice on how we should rotate driving, sleeping in the car so that we will be well rested enough to enjoy Friday. Also if anyone knows good rest stops with WI-FI and just any other general tips. I want to be as prepared as possible this time. Last time I packed in a rush and forgot that just becuase it was 78 degrees here it wasent up north so I had to stop at the infamous south of the border to buy a poncho jacket and socks (i was wearing flip flops in november). Sorry if this was a bit lengthy but I would really appriciate your guys advice. Oh and if it matters im 17 and he is 19 and we will be taking his brand new hyundai (woo for 37mpg).

THANKS!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-11-2007 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Good Neighbor Policy

Default Nine hundred miles

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin099 View Post
    Im posting becuase me and my friend are taking a road trip from Tampa to D.C this week
    This is a nice time of the year to be visiting Washington, DC -- Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    We where planning on leaving sometime Thursday late afternoon-early evening so that we would arrive some time friday late morning.
    Driving all night is never a great idea... As you know, by the shortest possible route it is about 900 miles and it will take you about 15-17 hours to drive this distance, depending how long you stop and rest along the way. So, if you want to reach DC by Noon, you would have to leave by 9:00 am the previous day (this assumes that you will be driving as close to the speed limit as is possible in the traffic...)

The ideal number of drivers for conducting a safe Speed Run is three -- but this article still has some useful tips.
    Also if anyone knows good rest stops with WI-FI and just any other general tips.
    It is too bad you will be in such a rush -- so many cool places along I-95 as you go north and several of the places I would recommend for taking a break and walking around are difficult to use in the middle of the night. Most truck stops have Wi-Fi transmitters... A couple of places to stretch your legs: Blue Heron nature trail near Exit 21 in South Carolina; Santee State Park, (I should caution you -- there is often a radar trap just before you cross Lake Marion -- between Exit 98 and 102; In fact, if you were to pick up this book, it identifies all of the likely speeding radar locations that the state police use...

At Dillon, Norton's BBQ is quite good. Ft. Bragg has a special operations museum in North Carolina. Just before you cross the Potomac River (going into Virginia there is a torpedo factory!

Another thing I would really suggest is that you pick up this audio book and listen to it as you drive north!-- that describes places in the Washington Mall area. I have been several times and I still learned things in this book, I didn't know about.

Have fun!

Mark