1. Default Dallas to DC with kids (3 and 4)

Hey everyone -

I've been checking out these forums over the last few days and have already gleaned a lot of great advice. Now, I'm lookng for some specific info, so hopefully, I'll get some help.

We are moving from Dallas to DC - probably in August. We want to make a one-way roadtrip out of this with our 2 boys ages 3 and 4. I'm thinking 4 or 5 days. 5 days is kinda the max. The boys will be going crazy at about the 5 day mark and will be ready for some continuity at that point.

We want to do some fun things along the way. I know that I want to drive the Blue Ridge Pkwy and probably up through Skyline drive (time permitting). Here's the general route structure:

Dallas->Little Rock->Memphis->Nasheville->Asheville->Blue Ridge Pkwy->Charlotessville->DC

So now I'm looking for some specific kid-friendly things to do along this route - especially on the BRP. I'd like to stop and maybe do a little canoe trip or visit a railroad museum or something. Just some things to break up the driving and entertain the kids. Does anyone have any specific recommendations? Do we swing by any cool kid-friendly destinations - hotels, restaurants, water parks, theme parks?

Thanks in advance!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Traveling with Kids

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Your trip is only 1300 miles, so 4-5 days will really give you a good amount of time to relax, enjoy yourself, and have a real good time.

I haven't driven this part of the country much, so I can't give you much specific advice, however, I can recommend checking out the Traveling with Kids section for some good general advice about making the trip more fun for your entire family.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default "Get Ready, Get Set & Go!" Family RoadTrip Planning

Quote Originally Posted by tgreenbe View Post
    The boys will be going crazy at about the 5 day mark and will be ready for some continuity at that point.
    One strategy for forestalling the inevitable is to get them involved in the planning process to some extent. Here are some ideas from Moderator Judy and me.