1. Default Baseball trip to the East Coast and Back... Could Use some Advice!!

A group of 6 including myself will be heading out on a baseball road trip at the end of June thru July 8th. Below is our itinerary. I could use any advice you have. This is our first time ever driving this far in such a short amount of time, but we are very excited and willing to take it on!
    Some advice I'm looking for is:
    Road construction?Delays?
    Points of Interest
    Have you made this stretch before?
    estimated time to destination

Anything will help and is greatly appreciated...

Thank You!

Day 1 - Thursday June 28, 2007
    Leave 4pm after Work. Stay at hotel in Chicago Area.

Day 2 - Friday, June 29, 2007
    Leave for Detroit
    Game in Detroit at Comerica Park Twins vs.Tigers @ 705pm

Day 3 - Saturday, June 30, 2007
    Leave Early from Detroit for Niagra Falls, NY
    Traveling through Canada.
    Spend chunk of day there hiking then travel on to Cooperstown, NY to see the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Day 4 - July 1, 2007
    Wake up early, Get to Massachusetts and head towards Boston where we will watch the Texas Rangers vs. the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park at 2:05pm. Leave Boston after the game and head to New York, NY.

Day 5 - Monday, July 2, 2007
    No games today. Spend Day in NYC.

Day 6 - Tuesday, July 3, 2007
    Twins vs. Yankees @ Yankee Stadium 7:05pm.

Day 7 - Wednesday, July 4, 2007
    Twins vs. Yankees @ Yankee Stadium 1:05pm.
    Fireworks in NYC.

Day 8 - Thursday, July 5, 2007
    Travel around Philadelphia, and Baltimore, and arrive in Washington, D.C. See some sights and see Chicago Cubs vs. Washington Nationals at 7:05pm.

Day 9 - Friday, July 6, 2007
    Spend day seeing sights until 5 or 6pm to head back towards Chicago. Hotel on the way.

Day 10 - Saturday, July 7, 2007
    Drive Through Notre Dame campus and get to Chicago for our last game. Twins vs. White Sox @2:55pm.

Day 11 - Sunday, July 8, 2007
    Drive home and conclude our 2950 mile Trip through Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ontario, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, D.C., and Ohio.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Baseball RoadTrips

Quote Originally Posted by bpanderson22 View Post
    A group of 6 including myself will be heading out on a baseball road trip at the end of June thru July 8th.
    One of the Moderators here, Midwest Michael, is a veteran of such road trip adventures and I think you would find this thread about planning to be very useful.

The schedule and route looks well put together to me. Have a great time!

You might also like to have Chris Epting's book on Roadside Baseball on board as well!

Tucson, AZ

Default Yellow Flags

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well, since I don't know where home is, it's tough to tell you anything about your first of last days, so let's concentrate on the middle.

Day 3 is going to be a bit of a problem. It's nearly 500 miles from Detroit to Cooperstown by way of Niagara Falls. Now 500 mile days are certainly easy enough, but you won't have a lot of time to spend at the falls and you'll be arriving in Cooperstown after the Hall is closed. You will not have time to see it the next morning either as you'll need to be on the road by 7 am to get to Boston (and find parking) in time for the game. In addition, I hope all 6 of you have the required paper work for the two border crossings. Each of you will need a passport or BOTH a government issued photo ID (e.g. driver's license) AND a certified copy (with an embossed state seal) of your birth certificate (your original also works of course).

Day 4 is another one where you may have a problem. Depending on how long the game runs, you are going to be leaving Boston at rush hour and getting to NYC fairly late. This is one time I hope that you have made reservations for a motel/hotel, particularly since it's a holiday weekend.

Day 8 has you doing a solid 5-6 hour drive from New York to Washington and catching a ball game at 7pm. That's easy enough, but you really won't have time for any detours into Philadelphia or for leisurely wandering around DC before the game.

The rest looks pretty much OK, but be prepared. 6 people spending that much time together in a small enclosed space for that many days is going to get on your nerves. It would be nice if you had the odd day here and there on your trip to wander around some of the cities you'll be travelling to, but other than New York, which is not everyone's cup of tea, I don't see where you'll have much time for such activities.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Somehow I always miss the details

There must be something about baseball roadtrips that lowers a veil over my trip-planning mind. Somehow I missed the import of Day three and the fact that there are six travelers on this little gambit. Make sure all six of you have taken this quiz before you get in the car so you can make some adjustments in the planning....

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Flashbacks

Wow, your trip is amazingly similar to one I took a couple years ago. Right down to the teams you're seeing (Lots of Twins and Cubs games)

I will echo the statements about day 3, its too far to do what you want to do. During my trip we saw a Twins/Tigers game in detroit and had two days off before we had tickets to a daygame at Fenway. We had a nice slow paced day that we spent in Canada and around the falls, but we got a late start the next day, and after a sprint across NY, we only got to Cooperstown about an hour before the HoF closed. After which, we ended up driving to Vermont, where we set up camp around 1 am.

Its also easy to underestimate the time you'll need to travel along the East coast. Your New York - DC trip shouldn't be too hard, but remember you'll have to fight traffic and find a place to park before the game. My similar stretch was from Connecticutt to Philly for a night game, and while we weren't really rushed, we still didn't make it to the ballpark until just an hour before gametime.

Days 9-10 are a bit problematic as well. If I'm reading your plan correctly, you aren't planning on leaving DC until the afternoon rush hour, plan to tour Notre Dame, and still make it to Chicago for an afternoon game? You'll need much more time than that. At the very least, you'll need to leave DC around noon, and that would still put a stop at ND very much in doubt.

One final thought, while I don't see where you'll fit it into this schedule, you might want to see if you can fit a Rochester Red Wings game into your trip, which could be a lot of fun - especially since it appears you are Twins fans.

Default Fun trip! But day 4.....

Quote Originally Posted by bpanderson22 View Post

Day 4 - July 1, 2007
    Wake up early, Get to Massachusetts and head towards Boston where we will watch the Texas Rangers vs. the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park at 2:05pm. Leave Boston after the game and head to New York, NY.
    Being from Boston, Day 4 looks a little long to me! It takes about 4 hours to get from Cooperstown to Boston (a little quicker if you drive fast!). Parking in Boston is a pain, not to mention expensive, at least $20 if you are looking to park close to Fenway. I would find a hotel right outside of the city and take public transportation in- the commuter rail or the subway.

It takes about four hours to drive to NYC from Boston- you could do it after the game but like someone earlier said you might be starting the drive through rush hour traffic. The Mass Pike to route 84S (if that is how you are planning to go south to NY) is always backed up during rush hour. I would recommend staying at a hotel that night, leave for NYC in the morning and spend the day in the city, you'll still have plenty of time, I do it all the time.

Also, not to be a killjoy, but do you have tickets to the Red Sox game? It is vitually impossible for us Sox fans from MA to find tickets unless we go through a StubHub or hit up a friend with season tickets.

Good luck! Kate

7. Default Leave a week from today... Can you help?

Hello all,

We are a group from the twin cities, Mn and will be leaving a week from today for:
    Niagra Falls
    New York City
    Washington DC
    back to Chicago
    and back home

I was just wondering if you know of any bad construction going on that we should be aware of. Also, any other "warnings" to look out for on our trip.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default DOT websites are very helpful

I suggest you google the Department of Transportation websites for each of the states you're traveling through. I find these are always quite helpful with information on road construction projects and other things that might cause delays. Good luck and have a great trip. A baseball roadtrip to every park is a dream of mine.