1. Default cross country trip - which way?

Alright, first I apologize in advance if I am too ambiguous or vague. I'm really looking for any information that anyone has to make the trip the best it can possibly be.

Myself, brother, and friend will be traveling from LA to Philadelphia, starting June 25th. While we know a few places we want to go, we have not completely narrowed down the scope of what we want to see. Obviously, we can't do everything, so I am looking for whatever guidance people can offer. The one thing we do want to eventually see on the trip is Devils Tower, WY, which is why we're pointing the car north. I've already done the Philly to LA trip (in January of '06) so while I loved the Southern Rim of the Grand Canyon, and want to go back, I don't need to do so this trip

So - a few questions right off the bat...

The biggest debate is whether we drive north to Yosemite and then on through Reno to SLC, or do we drive through southern UT and hit Bryce, Arches, etc. We're unsure how crowded Yosemite will be, and if that will mar the experience. Will it?

If we decided to go through Southern UT, is it possible to squeeze in Sequoia and/or Death Valley? Is there a drivable route through Nevada north of Vegas to get into Southern UT, or do we have to head south?

Will all the national parks be crowded? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one) Are there some that might be less crowded than others?

And the last question (for the moment) what should we really stop and see? I know this is broad, and it is for a reason. Lay it on me. I'd rather have too much information than not enough. Thanks in advance.

Goose

Default When planning... you have start someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Myself, brother, and friend will be traveling from LA to Philadelphia, starting June 25th.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    The biggest debate is whether we drive north to Yosemite and then on through Reno to SLC, or do we drive through southern UT and hit Bryce, Arches, etc. We're unsure how crowded Yosemite will be, and if that will mar the experience. Will it?
    Yosemite Valley will be crowded in July. Will the crowds lessen the experience if you were the only one there? Yes. Is it still worth seeing? YES. I would drive Tioga Pass out to the east and stay in Ely. Here is a field report from the first part of a possible trip (from LA to Yosemite) and another one about Ely.
    If we decided to go through Southern UT, is it possible to squeeze in Sequoia and/or Death Valley? Is there a drivable route through Nevada north of Vegas to get into Southern UT, or do we have to head south?
    You could easily do Death Valley and there are plenty of US highways in Nevada for going north. Here are some tips.
    Will all the national parks be crowded? (I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one) Are there some that might be less crowded than others?
    Most of the parks in Utah tend to be less crowded overall -- but Canyonlands and Capitol Reef would be my suggestions for less traveled parks.

Mark

3. Default

thanks for the reply - right now we're thinking about driving up through Sequoia and then ending up in Yosemite. We would like to camp, but obviously by now the park has filled up. Are there any places or suggestions of where the three of us can camp that is close to Yosemite? From what I've read it looks like I would need a reservation to camp in the park. Is there any way to get around this?

Default Probably not, unfortunately

Not unless you want to break some laws, anyway. There are some national forests bordering the eastern side of Yosemite that would probably allow disbursed camping (most national forests do so I assume that do, too). So that might be an option. Your best bet is probably to find a commercial campground nearby. I'm sorry that I'm not familiar enough with the area to give you any recommendations. You might check out Woodall's website and see if there are any KOAs close by.