1. Default first solo roadtrip Austin to NYC

Any tips for a girl driving car solo from Austin, TX to NYC with side trip planned for Philly and perhaps other places? I will be on a tight budget w/ most of my $$ going towards gas. I was told that I could get as far as Tennessee for a long haul first day (I obviously have not mapped out my trip yet). The next day would be straight to Philly.

Concerns:
    safety! Is it a terrible idea to plan to camp at state park or KOA in tent on the way? Nap in car in a 24-hr. walmart parking lot safe?

Gas budget:
    2001 VW Golf (tiny tank)

I am considering leaving my car at a friend's outside Philly and taking the train into NYC. Does anyone else besides my parents think driving my car in NYC is a bad idea? Note: on my last big trip (Austin to Los Angeles) my car was stolen and totaled.

Any suggestions would be helpful, especially from other girls who've done this before

Default It is going to be a grand adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadTripper0607 View Post
    Any tips for a girl driving car solo from Austin, TX to NYC with side trip planned for Philly and perhaps other places?
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- yes for starters read these threads for some useful ideas:

BirdyBird's first time ever solo trip

Jillian's solo trips advice

Wild and Crazy Moderator Judy's tips

Some tips about solo camping

I will be on a tight budget w/ most of my $$ going towards gas. I was told that I could get as far as Tennessee for a long haul first day (I obviously have not mapped out my trip yet). The next day would be straight to Philly.
    I think you should add an extra day and certainly read these tips about speed runs!!!!
    Nap in car in a 24-hr. walmart parking lot safe?
    The two places I would recommend napping would be at a truck stop/travel plaza and if absolutely necessary -- the visitor's lot at hospital emergency room.
    Gas budget:2001 VW Golf (tiny tank)
    use our fuel cost calculator tool!
    I am considering leaving my car at a friend's outside Philly and taking the train into NYC. Does anyone else besides my parents think driving my car in NYC is a bad idea?
    Personally, I love driving in the Big Apple, but it is expensive to find parking and you have to love aggressive drivers.... So, perhaps the train is a good idea.
    Note: on my last big trip (Austin to Los Angeles) my car was stolen and totaled.
    That is a huge bummer.

You are going to have a wonderful adventure!

Mark

Default What fun!

I agree an extra day would make this a bit more enjoyable of a drive. I frequently camp by myself at national/state parks or private campgrounds like KOAs without a problem. I'm not alone. Several women here at RTA do so. Gen, another one of our moderators, often sleeps in her car at 24-hour truck stops. It's fine. Just use good common sense. Have a great trip!

(And a smile-and-a-wink to our dear Editor. LOL)