1. Default Road trip w/ learner's permit!

hi everyone,

i've been trying to figure my question out by looking on various states' dmv websites but i am still clueless.

i plan to drive with my boyfriend (who is licensed and 21) from florida to pennsylvania. i am 20 and from new york, and i just recieved my learner's permit. am i allowed to drive in the other states that we're going through? that includes florida, georgia, south carolina, north carolina, virginia, west virginia, and pennsylvania.

if anyone can enlighten me, i would very much appreciate it.

Tucson, AZ

Default Lerner's Permit

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well, it took a little poking around, but everything is on-line:

* No driving from midnight to 6 a.m.?no exceptions.
    * No driving with nonfamily members for the first six months after obtaining your Class D license.
    * After six months, no more than three passengers under the age of 21.

South Carolina:
    * You may drive alone during daylight hours from 6 a.m. until 6 p.m. (or 8 p.m. during daylight savings time).
    * From 6 p.m. (or 8 p.m. daylight savings time) until midnight , must have licensed driver who is at least 21 years of age accompanying.
    * Between midnight and 6 a.m. , licensed parent or legal guardian accompanying.
    * You cannot transport more than two passengers under the age of 21 unless accompanied by licensed adult at least 21.

North Carolina;
    * A learner's permit authorizes the permit holder to drive a specified type or class of motor vehicles while in possession of the permit. The permit holder must, while operating a motor vehicle over the highways, be accompanied by a person who is licensed to operate the motor vehicle being driven and is seated beside the permit holder.

* A valid learner's permit allows you to drive without a licensed driver beside you provided you have held your learner's permit for nine months and the certificate is signed by a parent or legal guardian.
    * Virginia's curfew laws prohibit a driver under age 18 who holds a learner's permit or driver's license from driving midnight to 4 A.M.

West Virginia:
    * Licensed driver 21 or over in front seat.
    * May only drive between 5:00 am & 11:00 pm .
    * Safety belts in accordance with state law.
    * Zero alcohol tolerance

* Blood alcohol restriction of .002 No driving midnight-5 AM, excepting; employment, school related or volunteer driving purposes
    * Learner's permit holders under 18 may not use any wireless communication device, including a cell phone, while driving, with the exception of a 911 emergency call.

* Supervising adult for permit holder must be at least 21: An experienced, licenseddriver aged 21 or older must accompany the young driver at all times.
    * Nighttime driving restriction begins at 11 p.m.: The young driver may not be behind the wheel between the hours of 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. Young drivers may travel for employment and for volunteer or charitable service during these hours, but they must carry proper documentation.