1. Default Kentucky to California roundtrip.

Me and three friends are fresh outta high school and wanted to take this trip before college starts up. We've been planning for months and have established a budget and timeframe we're just concerned about safety. I know its easily do-able in the time we're giving ourselves we just want any safety advice we can get cause crossing the country can be a daunting thing. so any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by dmiller_13; 06-06-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Easily?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Are you sure it will be easily do-able? A sucessful roadtrip requires a fair amount of planning and budgeting, of both time and money. Have you thought about how much time you plan to spend on the road and how much money you'll need to make this trip? Do you and your friends have the same goals for this trip?

I'd start by looking at these articles: Teenage Roadtrip, The Roadtrip Compatability Quiz, and How to Plan a Great Roadtrip.

I live in Kentucky, too, and the trip to California (anywhere out west, really) is well worth the experience, especially if you've never done it before. Still, it will take a minimum of three days to get there, and another three to get back. And that's if you don't take any appreciable stops along the way.

California is a big state, so you'll want to decide where you really want to go. From my own trips, I would recommend at least two weeks for a trip like this.

Don't forget about your budget. Gas alone will probably cost at least $600, and hotel rooms for 4 people could be pricey, too, this time of year. Have you considered camping?

Good luck!