1. Default Los Angeles to Rochester, NY in 3 weeks

I'm off to college in Rochester, NY in August, and I'm planning to make a road trip over there from my home near Los Angeles.

My questions for you:
    Do you see any problems with this route? The first two destinations are just to get google maps to do my first leg along the 126 and the 1.
    I expect to be bored to death for the entire state of Nebraska, are there any alternate routes to take that wouldn't add too much distance, or anything fun to do other than drive in a straight line on I80 for 500 miles?

My proposed schedule:

Day 1, August 2nd: Drive up the 1 to Berkeley.
    Days 2 and 3: Stay with friends in Berkeley. Explore San Francisco.
    Day 4: Drive Berkeley to Winnemucca,Nevada or similar motel town.
    Day 5: Complete Drive to Salt Lake City. Sleep, walk around for a while, find some Jazz, whatever.
    Day 6: Stay a day.
    Day 7: Salt Lake to Denver
    Day 8 and 9: Chillout in Denver
    Day 10:Half of the Denver to Pleasant Valley, IA trip. End with motel in Lincoln, NE or surrounding area.
    Day 11: Continue to my friend in Pleasant Valley. Stay 2 days.
    Day 14: Drive to Chicago. Stay with family for 2-3 days.
    Day 17: Drive to Toronto. (Long drive, but I don't want to go to Detroit. I'll also be rested from 3 days of Aunts and Grandma, etc.).
    Day 18-20/21: Have fun in Toronto.
    Day 21: Drive to Rochester. (3 hours) Arrive on August 22. Freshmen orientation begins August 23.

If I'm tired of driving when I reach Chicago, I'll stay there instead of going to Toronto and spend 2 days going to Rochester.

I've never done a multi-day roadtrip, so I'm open to any and all suggestions, particularly regarding my itinerary, routes, roads, and places to stay between San Fran and Salt Lake, in Salt Lake, and between Denver and Iowa.

I'm also a 17 year old, small male teenager making this trip in a small car loaded with my possessions, so any tips regarding safety would be appreciated. I have a budget for motels between cities and hostels/motels in Denver and Toronto, so no worries about camping or sleeping in my car in weird places. I also have AAA.

Things I'm concerned about:

All that driving! My longest day is probably my first, which google maps says is just under 8 hours. If I took the 5, it would be about 5 and a half hours. I've never driven PCH, but I assume it's worth it. Most other days seem manageable, with 5-7 hours of driving each day, except Chicago to Toronto, but I really don't want to waste a day there.

Comfort. What should I get to make my car more comfortable, particularly the seat. I have ~100 CDs and 2 audiobooks, plus some standup comedy to listen to, and I'm planning on a fruits, veggies, and water cooler in my passenger footwell.

Thank you guys, I'm really glad I found this forum.

Last edited by Deserted; 06-06-2007 at 01:24 AM.

Default Just one issue

Welcome to the RTA forum!

I think you've got a real good trip in front of you. Even Chicago to Toronto, which you point out as being a long trip, is certainly a feasable drive in one day. You'll be on the road all day, but it really shouldn't be that stressfull.

The only red flag I see is your projection of making it up CA-1 in 8 hours. Typically LA to San Francisco via the Coast is at least a 12-13 hour drive, and we usually recommend it as a 2 day trip. Internet mapping times tend to be very optimistic, and even via I-5, it would be unlikely that you could get from LA to SF in under 7 hours once you factor in traffic and stops.

If you are going to Denver anyway, I would also recommend taking the scenic route, but cutting down to I-70 and taking that across Colorado.

3. Default

I think you've got a real good trip in front of you.

The only red flag I see is your projection of making it up CA-1 in 8 hours. Typically LA to San Francisco via the Coast is at least a 12-13 hour drive, and we usually recommend it as a 2 day trip. Internet mapping times tend to be very optimistic, and even via I-5, it would be unlikely that you could get from LA to SF in under 7 hours once you factor in traffic and stops.

If you are going to Denver anyway, I would also recommend taking the scenic route, but cutting down to I-70 and taking that across Colorado.
    I'm starting north of LA, and avoid the city traffic. I'll also take the 101N for about 125 miles, which has never had any traffic any time I've driven it. That will take me all the way to Morro bay (which is beautiful, you should visit). But thank you, I'll be sure to leave earlier on that leg, and be prepared for it to take a few hours more than I had hoped.

I'll take your advice on taking the I-70. I may also have a place to stay in Colorado Springs, which would be nice, but either way I'll head down I-70 instead of the 80.

I hope it's a good trip too, and I'll document the whole thing with photos, and hope to have a good time in the cities I visit. I love live music, good food, and pretty much anything interesting.

Does anyone have any suggestions on places to go or things to see in Denver, Salt Lake, or Toronto?

Thanks!
    Deserted

4. Default

Hi Deserted,

I recently posted a thread about going the opposite direction, from Rochester to L.A.

We will probably be on our trip a week or so beforehad so I will try to update the trip as we go. I will be travelling with my girlfriend and my dog in a regular sized sedan, so I'm sure we'll encounter some similar circumstances.

My route will be I-90 (Roch.) to I-70 to I-15 to I-10 to I-405 to I-105 (LAX).
    Do you have an idea of how the roads are closer to LAX re: traffic etc? I noticed that Michael advised against certain routes due to traffic and I'm wondering how long it would REALISTICALLY take to get from I-10 to LAX.

BTW, I graduated from the UofR in '06, soI'm not sure if that's where you're headed, but kudos for leaving the west coast for your college experience (I am from Hawaii so I get it!).

5. Default

Make sure you have your passport when traveling to Canada, it is no longer just a birth cert. and ID. Also, crossing the border with a ton of crap in your car may cause them to have you pull over where they will then pull everything out of your car while you sit in a room. I live in Buffalo and have crossed the border many times and have know many people who have car loads of stuff waste time while they search. On the other hand they may just have you open your trunk and you will be on your way.

I personally think the extra drive to Toronto is not worth it. You will be in Rochester for 4 years at least I assume and will have plenty of time to go up with friends when you are not so exhausted and worried about your car being broken into while it sits in a parking lot with all your possessions.

I see another red flag - you are going to have a very difficult time finding a motel/hotel that will rent a room to someone under 18. You will probably have to do a combination of friends, relatives, youth hostels, camping, and sleeping in your car in truck stops.

You are also going to have issues crossing the Canadian border being under 18 and unaccompanied, whether you have a passport or not. Wait till you are 18 to visit Toronto without a legal guardian.

Default look at the date

Guys,

Deserted's post is from 2007 and he hasn't been around since then. I think its safe to say, if this trip actually happened, its happened 2 years ago.

Default as an aside

Quote Originally Posted by echun View Post
    Do you have an idea of how the roads are closer to LAX re: traffic etc? I noticed that Michael advised against certain routes due to traffic and I'm wondering how long it would REALISTICALLY take to get from I-10 to LAX.

Its been a little while since I've made the drive, but the 405 between I-10 is one of the slowest, traffic infested highways I've ever traveled. I think every time I've taken it, I've hit major traffic, that that includes all different hours of the day and on weekends.

In any case, that's not the route I would take if your heading directly to LAX. I'd take either I-605 or I-110 south and then take the 105 into the airport.

DOH! I usually don't miss things like that! I saw 06-06, but not the 2007!

From I-15 to LAX, take 210 to 605 to 105.