1. Default Comments on plan

Hi

I would love comments, suggestions etc. on the following plan for a road trip in California in July 2007, starting on July 8th:

8. San Francisco -> ? (by Highway 1)
    9. ? -> Santa Barbara
    10. Santa Barbara -> Los Angeles
    11. Stay in Los Angeles
    12. Stay in Los Angeles
    13. Stay in Los Angeles
    14. Los Angeles -> San Diego
    15. San Diego -> Laughlin
    16. Laughlin -> Grand Canyon
    17. Stay in Grand Canyon
    18. Stay in Grand Canyon
    19. Grand Canyon -> Bryce Canyon
    20. Stay in Bryce Canyon
    21. Stay in Bryce Canyon
    22. Bryce Canyon -> Las Vegas
    23. Las Vegas, trip to Death Valley
    24. Stay in Las Vegas
    25. Las Vegas -> Seqouia via Barstow
    26. Seqouia -> Yosemite
    27. Stay in/near Yosemite
    28. Stay in/near Yosemite
    29. Yosemite -> San Francisco
    30. Stay in San Francisco
    31. Stay in San Francisco

Any comments are appreciate, but two things in particular are on our minds:

* Should we start with LA, or the other way around, i.e. start with Yosemite? Starting with LA means we'll be in LV on week days, and in Yosemite on a weekend; starting with Yosemite we'll be in Yosemite on week days and LV on a weekend.. From what direction is the route best (landscape-wise etc.)?

* How much reservation should we make in advance? In general and in e.g. Yosemite?

Morten

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Reservations and Route 66

Welcome to Roadtrip America!!

As far as reservations, I generally try not to make them as I never know when I'll find something interesting. Perhaps with Las Vegas that might be a good idea. It gets very crowded on the weekends.

For a real Route 66 experience, from Needles, Ca, to Kingman, Az. cruise Route 66. You'll get a kick out of the wild burros in Oatman. At Kingman, you can drive back to Laughlin.

While you're at the Grand Canyon, you might want to go to Williams, Az, and stay on Route 66.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

Default Yosemite now...

...if you can.

Traditionally, Yosemite is the hardest reservation to get, just about anywhere in the US. They keep the number of accommodations down, so as a result, the demand is up. Call now and check for availabilities. As far as which way to do the loop, I'm not sure it matters, except that driving from SF to LA puts you on the ocean side of the road (good for passenger's viewing, if he/she doesn't mind heights).

One suggestion. I think you'll find that Bryce is a good two night - one day stop. That leaves you a day to spend at Zion National Park. It isn't far away, it is on the way to Las Vegas, and is quite different from the other places on your list. Yes, you could just drive in, look around, and leave, but your approach seems to be to get a good taste of each place so I'd plan an overnight near there.

One observation. On the day you go to Death Valley from Las Vegas, plan to leave early because it is longish drive to get there, there can be a lot of driving to see all parts of the park (include Scotty's Castle if you have time) and you still have the same drive back to Las Vegas in the evening. Loooooong day.

The best part of your plan, though, is that you've left yourself some time to enjoy and relax each of the sites.

Have a great trip,

Craig Sheumaker

co-author of the travel guide America's Living History - The Early Years

Default Looks good to me

Quote Originally Posted by dahl View Post
    * Should we start with LA, or the other way around, i.e. start with Yosemite? Starting with LA means we'll be in LV on week days, and in Yosemite on a weekend; starting with Yosemite we'll be in Yosemite on week days and LV on a weekend..
    Las Vegas is a 24/7 town, so I would recommend structuring the trip so you can be at Yosemite during the week. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    * How much reservation should we make in advance? In general and in e.g. Yosemite?
    I would get reservations in and around Yosemite! Less so other places. Here is a short overview about this question.

Mark

5. Default Thanks

Wow, that was quick..

Thanks to all!

I'll look more into accommodation at Yosemite. Can you recommend any town/place? I was thinking about Midpines, Mariposa, Fish Camp, or Oakhurst. Is it better to go into the park in our own car or should we use the YARTS?