Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Phoenix to Seattle in April of 08

First of all Hello. I am new to the site but it looks great.

Me and the Fiance (by then Wife) will be moving to Seattle in April/May of 08.

I am looking for advice on which route I should take.

1 or 2 variables/requirements to be kept in mind.

1. We under no circumstances want to go over the grapevine.

2. We will be travelling with 2 cats and 2 fish which will necessitate a hotel stay after 8-12 hours of driving. We are eyeballing the trip to be about three days (2 nights in a hotel, with the final night being in seattle)

3. We will "probably" not be moving most of our stuff with us, we plan on selling/getting rid of most of our furniture and whatever is left will likely be moved by PODS or some other similar moving company.

4. We have a Nissan Pathfinder that is our main car and there is a strong possibility of a second car coming with us(friends who want to check out seattle)

5. Each car will have 2 drivers.

6. We would rather not deal with snow, but its not a deal breaker on any given route. Especially if its light snow.

I think that covers the basics, any advice on routes? what should I be looking for?

Thank You

Rayston
    Last edited by Rayston; 06-05-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Default What is the concern about the grapevine?

Quote Originally Posted by Rayston View Post
    Me and the Fiance (by then Wife) will be moving to Seattle in April/May of 08.
    Congratulations on the pending wedding and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I am looking for advice on which route I should take.
    1 or 2 variables/requirements to be kept in mind.
    1. We under no circumstances want to go over the grapevine.
    What is your concern about this route? It is an Interstate highway and pretty easy to drive. But, in any case, it would be out of your way to go over the grapevine on a route from Seattle to Phoenix, unless you wanted a stop-over in LA on the way.
    2. We will be travelling with 2 cats and 2 fish which will necessitate a hotel stay after 8-12 hours of driving. We are eyeballing the trip to be about three days (2 nights in a hotel, with the final night being in seattle)
    Yes, that is reasonable -- here are some tips for traveling with pets.
    3. We will "probably" not be moving most of our stuff with us, we plan on selling/getting rid of most of our furniture and whatever is left will likely be moved by PODS or some other similar moving company.
    Much better plan -- do not carry it with you!
    6. We would rather not deal with snow, but its not a deal breaker on any given route. Especially if its light snow.
    There is an excellent chance for snow on any possible route in April, much less in May. Here are some winter driving tips.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-05-2007 at 01:27 PM. Reason: navigation

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Going through Utah

I would recommend going through the Columbia Gorge via I-84 into Utah, then down south through Vegas on I-15, bypassing Hoover Dam by either going through Laughlin, NV or down through Needles, NV.

From there, you can take US 93 into Phoenix from I-40, or go south through Lake Havasu City to I-10.

That would be my recommendation if you want to avoid the Grapevine.

-Brad
    Last edited by RoadTripper Brad; 06-05-2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Change Title

4. Default No Grapevine? Be prepared anyway..

I'll also add "Why no Grapevine?" In 30+ years of driving in California, I don't think I've ever seen snow in the air going over the Grapevine. On the sides of the road sure... and once I had to detour around since there was a big brushfire near Magic Mountain.... but maybe one day a year in mid winter is is a concern. Tejon summit where the snow would be (about 5-10 miles from the grapevine) is 4140'.

But be aware, that by just about any route you're taking from Phoenix to Seattle, you can see snow. For example, there's the Siskiyou pass near Ashland Oregon on I-5 (elevation 4310'), and much of the route north of Redding to Ashland can see snow through the Shasta area. And in the winter I've seen snow in Tacoma and Seattle itself (not in April mind you, but in January) -- you *will* see snow in Seattle at some point. Heck, I've seen 6" of snow at Palmdale in the Mojave one year -- they get snow about every 3-4 winters. Last time was about 2 years ago, if memory serves.

If you come north via Reno, you have to come west via Donner Pass (elevation 7240'), which does get snow every year, as the ski resorts near Lake Tahoe testify... Continuing north from Reno puts you on some lessor roads up through the back side of the Sierras (Susanville, Alturas, etc) and you still have to head west over the mountains at some point.

I'd rate the probability of running into snow as lowest on Tejon pass (Grapevine), higher through the Shasta- Ashland section, and highest on the Donner Pass option.

For a route with minimal snow, and to avoid the Grapevine (to avoid LA traffic if nothing else), I'd do Phoenix to Blythe, Blythe to Barstow (avoiding the Cajon summit north of San Bernadino), Blythe to Bakersfield, then up the I-5 through Sacramento to Redding, and then north on I-5 to Seattle. Note I routed you away from Flagstaff, since I've been in snow in Williams in April (about 2 inches, which lasted less than a day on the ground).

But you *will* go over the Siskiyou Summit in southern Oregon and through the Shasta Trinity mountains near Mt Shasta. Be prepared anyway.. But if any road will be kept open on this route, and has the best snow services and is in the best condition in the winter, it's I-5.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Brad View Post
    I would recommend going through the Columbia Gorge via I-84 into Utah, then down south through Vegas on I-15, bypassing Hoover Dam by either going through Laughlin, NV or down through Needles, NV.

From there, you can take US 93 into Phoenix from I-40, or go south through Lake Havasu City to I-10.

That would be my recommendation if you want to avoid the Grapevine.

-Brad
    Sorry, I originally mis-stated and said Seattle to phoenix, instead of phoenix to seattle. I currently live in Phoenix and am moving to seattle, not the other way around.
    Last edited by Rayston; 06-06-2007 at 09:02 AM.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Congratulations on the pending wedding and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    What is your concern about this route? It is an Interstate highway and pretty easy to drive. But, in any case, it would be out of your way to go over the grapevine on a route from Seattle to Phoenix, unless you wanted a stop-over in LA on the way.
    Mark
    Sorry, I mis-stated Earlier, I meant Phoenix to Seattle not Seattle to phoenix.

The main reason we want to skip the grapevine is L.A traffic.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Larrison View Post
    I'll also add "Why no Grapevine?"
    Mostly to avoid L.A traffic
    But be aware, that by just about any route you're taking from Phoenix to Seattle, you can see snow.
    Fair enough, we are hoping to miss most of it by going in late april but I agree its possible we will still see some.
    For a route with minimal snow, and to avoid the Grapevine (to avoid LA traffic if nothing else), I'd do Phoenix to Blythe, Blythe to Barstow (avoiding the Cajon summit north of San Bernadino), Blythe to Bakersfield, then up the I-5 through Sacramento to Redding, and then north on I-5 to Seattle. Note I routed you away from Flagstaff, since I've been in snow in Williams in April (about 2 inches, which lasted less than a day on the ground).
    This is almost exactly the route I was already thinking.
    But you *will* go over the Siskiyou Summit in southern Oregon and through the Shasta Trinity mountains near Mt Shasta. Be prepared anyway.. But if any road will be kept open on this route, and has the best snow services and is in the best condition in the winter, it's I-5.
    Thanx for the advice.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-06-2007 at 11:33 AM. Reason: removed the extra white space

8. Default

Here is the Google Maps link of my proposed Route. I was just wondering if anyone saw any obvious problems or issues? Anything where Google Maps is being silly.

Keep in mind the stops in Bakersfield and Medford are just hotels I picked that seem good. Bakersfield and Medford will likely be the towns we overnight in on the way but not necessarily those exact hotels. Anyone have any advice on Hotels in either Medford or BakersField? Or any reasons I should change my mind about which cities to overnight in?

Also, I have the map going to Ballard because thats where we would really like to live in seattle but it could really be anywhere in the Seattle/Tacoma Metro area for all I know.

Thanx

Rayston
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-06-2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Preferred URL format

Default Yeah, that bypass is pretty silly

Quote Originally Posted by Rayston View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone saw any obvious problems or issues?
    Um. I gotta say that detouring all the way to Barstow makes ZERO sense. If it were me, I would do it the simplest way and take I-10 to the I-15 to the I-210 and take that right to I-5 and over Tejon Pass (& the Grapevine) and north. The route you have chosen will take 2-3 hours longer than if you just follow the traffic and make you way through that dreaded LA traffic.

If you really have objections to going the easy way -- and want to avoid some of the LA traffic, do not go to Victorville and Barstow! More miles, more traffic and zero gain. What you could do is take I-10 to the (I-215 and follow I-15 north to CA-138 -- Pearl Blossom Highway and then take that west and north to CA-14 to Mojave and then west again on CA-58 to I-5. (Again I think this is an unnecessary diversion -- but...) And I would make Bakersfield the first stop. It is about 490 miles -- certainly doable for your first day.

The 2nd night -- Medford is OK -- but that is a very long day. I would suggest Redding or Mt. Shasta and then go on in the third day.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-06-2007 at 12:54 PM.

Default Yeah, go through LA

I agree with Mark on your route.

I think you should shoot for Bakersfield on the 1st night and Yreka on the 2nd. If you do this, your trip will be broken up into three, relatively equal legs of just over 500 miles each.

Ballard is a nice area of Seattle. I hope you enjoy living up here in the PNW. When you're ready to explore your new home state, come on back and we'll do our best to guide you to some great places.