Default Chicago to Seattle Road Trip

Howdy all,

I'm planning a roadtrip departing around June 11th. I'm giving myself ~2 weeks, maybe longer, to drive from Chicago to Seattle. There is no return.

Along the way, I was thinking it would be cool if I could find some music festivals. I'm a big fan of smaller festivals with on-site camping.

1) Can anyone suggest anything that would be happening around the I-90 corridor along my route?

2) Does anyone have any thoughts on good ways to find these festivals?

I'd like to know about them before I arrive in an area. I'd hate to show up in a place, and then find in a paper that the festival starts in 4 days if I don't want to stick around that long.

Default This book and the Web

Quote Originally Posted by maharashii View Post
    I'm planning a roadtrip departing around June 11th. I'm giving myself ~2 weeks, maybe longer, to drive from Chicago to Seattle. There is noreturn.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Along the way, I was thinking it would be cool if I could find some music festivals. I'm a big fan of smaller festivals with on-site camping.
    Over the years I have used Jon's book to find such events.
    2) Does anyone have any thoughts on good ways to find these festivals?
    The best way is still to spend time in an area and get a haircut or use some other personal services -- and get the barber/etc to talk about what is coming up in an area. Other than that, searching on the web is still a good option.

Mark

Default Dig Into It

This is a case where the only one who can find what you want is probably - You. I did a fairly quick on-line search looking for {State music festival June 2007} and came up with the following possibilities. I'm sure there are more, so poke around a bit on your own, I think you'll surprise yourself with what you can find.

Blues in Minnesota
    Jazz in South Dakota
    Norwegian Folk Music, Sioux Falls
    Bluegrass in Montana
    Experimental music in Washington

AZBuck

Default Bonnarooooooo

If you're willing to go out of your way, Bonnaroo is happening in Tennessee.
    Hope you have a great time!
    Megan

Thanks for the tips. Bonnaroo is indeed a bit out of my way.

This site is proving to be pretty helpful:

I'll check out the book if it's available locally.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-04-2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Preferred Link Format

Default Chicago to Seattle Road Trip

Howdy folks,

I'm plotting my route through SD, and I'm confused about Iron Mountain Road.

Is the scenic route going north from Custer to Rushmore? That would make sense to me from the map, but the descriptions of the road online aren't clear.

If coming from the East, I'd head south from Rapid City on 16T / 79. At some point I'd cut West through Wind Cave park, and take 87 (Needles Highway?) north through Custer Park. At 16/36, go East to Iron Mountain Road and head North towards Rushmore.

Do I have that right?

Default Simplify

I've never heard of Iron Mountain Road, although its possible its the name of one of the numbered routes.

Based on the Route you've outlined, however, you should be able to turn right (east) on ALT-16 from SD-87. Stay on ALT-16, which will turn left (north) when it reaches SD-36. ALT-16 will then take you right to Rushmore.

Its possible ALT-16 is what you are referring to as Iron Mountain Road, it just doesn't call it that on any of my maps.

Default Iron Mountain Road

Good guess, Michael. Iron Mountain Road is indeed US-16A heading east from Custer. It is part of the Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway connecting Custer, Custer State Park, Mount Rushmore and the Norbeck Wildlife Preserve in a loop.

AZBuck

Default Chicago Seattle - The South Dakota Legs

Howdy folks,

I'm about 180 miles west of Wall, SD. I figure if I hustle I could be there by 10AM or so tomorrow morning. That would put me in the park in time for a sunset / evening drive. I'd like to get that in and find a place to camp for the night. Then the next day I could do some hiking, and either camp for another night or move on to the Black Hills.

Here's a link to my planned route: Will I be able to find a place to camp on the weekend? I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

After I leave the badlands, I want to drive through the Black Hills, seeing Rushmore via Iron Mountain road. I've plotted out this route.

I'm not sure that I've picked the most scenic route through the area, but I hope so. I'm also open to suggestions on places to pitch a tent in the area.

Do I need to take precautions against bears? Hmmm ...
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-15-2007 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Preferred URL Format

Default Fine by Fine

You're covering just about every major road in an absolutely beautiful area of the country. I don't see how you could find anything more scenic. As far as bears go, one problem is that there are no hard and fast rules. It depends on the bear and the situation. but read over this discussion of "What to do if you meet a bear" so you know what the possibilities are

AZBuck