Thread: hotel prices

1. Default hotel prices

Hello,
    I will be traveling along us-50 starting Friday. I was wondering what I should expect to pay in hotel. Iím not looking for anything fancy the cheaper the better as long as it has a bed and shower. I was thinking the mom and pop places would have the best deals. Any ideas?
    thanks,

Default Better rates and services in the chains

Quote Originally Posted by apowens View Post
    I will be traveling along us-50 starting Friday. I was wondering what I should expect to pay in hotel. Iím not looking for anything fancy the cheaper the better as long as it has a bed and shower. I was thinking the mom and pop places would have the best deals.
    This is a subject of much discussion -- in my experience, the best lodging deals can be found at national chains -- but, as a rule, I do not look for or embrace cheap lodging because I look for a comfortable bed, a great shower, a good breakfast and high-speed Internet as the absolute minimums of service from lodging establishments. So-called "Mom & Pop" places run the gamut of what you can find out there. But, in general you can probably find lodging for as cheaply as $25 to $55 per night for the basic lodging experience.

Mark

Default All 3073 miles?

My family and I have always had good luck with the Best Western chains as far as quality is concerned. For 3 of us the price was usually between $70-90 night. If there's only 2 of you then I'm sure it will be $10-15 cheaper than that.

For my first roadtrip in 2005, the choice of stay was always MicroTel (solely for their wireless internet connection, although most national chains seem to have that now) which for 3 people was more in the $60-75 range. But that was 2 years ago so maybe those prices are out-of-date.

If you're looking to go even cheaper, I read an article in my local newspaper last week about "hostels" which let you use a room and shower for anywhere between $5 and $50 a night, although the average is usually around $25. I've never tried one of these myself, although if I were ever to do a solo roadtrip (or with someone as cheap as me who doesn't mind a little "roughing it") I'd probably try it myself.

[Editor's Note: Here is a good overview about hostels in North America]

I did a few hundred miles of US-50 back in 2005 from Pueblo, CO to Dodge City, KS, during my 48-state roadtrip. Not much to see on that leg, but I'm sure the rest of it would be fun.

(And I just researched today and found out why there's no I-50 or I-60. Didn't want to overlap with the old US highways. Nice. Learn something every day.)

You travelling the entire highway from end to end?
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-05-2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: added link to RTA article about hostels