1. Default East-West Coast Road Trip

So, my friends and I are dying to do a road trip to San Francisco, California from Philadelphia, PA. We would be travelling at the end of August and will only have about 10-14 days to travel. Is this time frame plausible? I did read about speed runs and driving 700-800 miles a day. Is this recommended? And what would the best routes be?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Pretty Simple

Welcome to the RTA forum!

While 700-800 mile a day trips might be possible, we certainly don't recommend them. We generally recommend limiting yourself to around 500 miles a day.

But even at this pace, you should be able to make the trip between San Francisco and Philly in about 5 days, so 10-14 days would give you plenty of time to detour to places or make other stops along the way.

The direct route would involve taking I-76 to Ohio and then I-80 all the way to SF. However, like I said, you would have plenty of time to take a slightly more round about way, if there are some other things you'd like to see during your trip.

3. Default One-Way or Round Trip?

Definitely agree with Midwest Michael if you're driving one way and flying back the other.

If you're driving both ways, I'd strongly consider a different idea. Take a nice, long 14 day road trip somewhere, but don't drive cross-country just to say you did it. Explore your area, and other places within a 1000-1200 mile radius. You'll appreciate the trip (and each other!) if you do.

Good hiking,

P.S. If you are indeed driving the whole trip, let us know. I'm sure you'll get tons of suggestions of how to best explore the eastern half of the U.S.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Follow the Law

I guess I did read your trip as a one way journey, if you are talking about making this a round trip, then 10-14 days would be the absolute minimum you would need. Really, anything less than 2 weeks wouldn't even be worth your time, because once you got to California, you'd just have to turn around and head straight home.