Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default San Jose through Sacramento to Shasta Lake - anything I should hit?

Hello all, first time posting here - I'm doing a roadtrip with my girlfriend through Sacramento up to Shasta Lake for a few days. I'm a fairly experienced road tripper, but I'm woefully unaware of what's north of the San Francisco Bay Area, so are there any places that I should stop by on the way there or around the Shasta area? Thanks!

-Adrian

Default McArthur-Burney Falls

Quote Originally Posted by Darkholmme View Post
    Hello all, first time posting here - I'm doing a roadtrip with my girlfriend through Sacramento up to Shasta Lake for a few days.
    Should be a beautiful time of year for that area. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- I would certainly go to McArthur-Burney Falls State Park. Here is a short field report.

3. Default

Thanks, I put tha into my itinerary when I saw it in the planning part of the site, looks beautiful.

Stop in Redding & visit Turtle Bay. It is a beautiful park and botanical garden and has a sundial bridge that spans the Sacramento river. I don't know how far out of your way you plan on going but making a trip to Whiskeytown & Whiskeytown Lake is worth the drive.

Also, on your way up 5 past Sacramento, you'll come to the town of Williams. I strongly recommend that you stop at Granzella's restaurant for any meal. They also have a deli and olive tasting. The food is great and the staff is friendly. If you decide to stop, take the downtown Williams exit (really the only one I believe) and make a left off the ramp. Drive to the first stop sign past the Burger King and make a right. You'll see the big sign for Granzella's Inn & restaurant. There is parking behind the restaurant and in the lot across the street.

Oh, another stop on the way to the Shasta area (makes for a nice rest stop) is in Corning at the Olive Pit. You can buy olives, almonds and they also have olive and garlic tasting. You can also get milkshakes and malts in the little cafe in there. My brother lives in Redding and I live in Ukiah so we have made this trip many, many times. Have fun!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-04-2007 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added link to RTA's article about the Sundial Bridge

5. Default

Hm, I need a place to stop off in Sacramento, thanks for the tip.

And I have to laugh a little bit at your comment about the Olive Pit - I live in Gilroy, so anything Garlic just elicits a bit of a laugh. Thanks for the advice, I'll integrate the two into my schedule.

Default Mossbrae Falls

I was up in the Shasta area a couple of weeks ago.

I primarily wanted to hike and photograph Mossbrae Falls near Dunsmuir.

Here's a photo of the falls:

More photos here.

Here's the map to the trailhead.

You have to hike about 1.3 miles upstream along the Sacramento River
    along the railroad tracks. Be careful of freight trains as the rail line
    is fairly active. At 1.3 miles, you'll reach a railroad trestle, Mossbrae
    Falls will be on eastern side of the Sacramento River.

The falls are really unique. The water flows through and over a cliff.

Also nearby is Castle Crags State Park.

Forgot to mention that I also stopped at the Olive Pit in Corning. Gotta have my olives.

Old Sac is a popular tourist spot in Sacramento.

Default Such a treat to view your photos

Roadie,

I really enjoy your photos -- a very nice benefit of working in the office tonight!

Mark

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by roadie View Post
    Forgot to mention that I also stopped at the Olive Pit in Corning. Gotta have my olives.
    Corning is a cool place to do a bit of food shopping. Rather than the Olive Pit, I usually go to the "Olive Hut" in Corning. It's not quite as touristy, and doesn't have as large of a selection, but I know the stuff in there comes right from the growers (Friend of a friend who's in the organic foods business sells through them). What I find interesting is that if you look around, there are not only different grades of olive oils (virgin, extra virgin, etc), but oils from different types of olives with different tastes. Then there are the mixtures -- quite unique. I typically load up a couple of bottles of a lemon oil/ olive oil mixture which I use to cook fish. Besides olives and oils -- load up on Pistachos, and other nut crops are they are grown in the local area and usually of very good quality.

I used to stop at the Northern California Rice Exchange in the area, where they sold over 20 different types of rice, but it seems to have gone out of business :( The area north of Sacramento and south of Red Bluff is the largest rice growing area in the US I believe.

Plus all the orchard crops as well -- Plums, grapes, rasins, prunes, apples, peaches, apricots, etc. Used to get some amazing foods in the area....

And lastly, if you take the old 99 route north from Sacramento, it goes through the older farming towns up the eastern side of the valley. There are some fish farms (catfish, etc) including some California Caviar producers in the area (from native Sturgeon in the Sacramento River). Lots of interesting road side places to find interesting stuff. Heck, I've even found places selling walnut and oak and cherry lumber at amazingly low prices (came from orchards that were being pulled out, either for developments or to reinvorate the trees).

If you make it to Chico, its a cool college town, and is the home of Sierra Nevada Brewing, which has a nice brew pub and restaurant in town. (It's a mid-sized producer of specialty beers).

Default Olive Hut/Pit

Quote Originally Posted by Larrison View Post
    Corning is a cool place to do a bit of food shopping. Rather than the Olive Pit, I usually go to the "Olive Hut" in Corning. It's not quite as touristy, and doesn't have as large of a selection, but I know the stuff in there comes right from the growers (snip).
    Thanks for the tip. I'll have to lookup the Olive Hut
    especially since the olives are from local growers.
    That makes a souvenir a little more special.

I asked the sales clerk (at the Olive Pit) whether the
    olives actually come from Corning and he said that
    the olives are mixed with olives from around the world
    in processing, so it's not guaranteed that you'll get
    Corning olives.