1. Default Camping in Grand Canyon/Yosemite...Hot or cold?!

Hi guys

Please could you help. I am planning on camping at Grand Canyon and Yosemite in August this year with 6 friends. (YIPPEE!)

I appreciate that it is going to be very hot during the day, but could you please advise what the temperature could be at night? One of my friends is worried that it gets very cold. Would a normal summer sleeping bag be ok for this or would we require warmer ones? (we have very limited space in our bags so i'm hoping that a smaller bag would do the trick!!)

Thanks

Jodie

Default Cold It Is

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The average overnight low in Grand Canyon National Park is around 50 in August, with the record low being 36! Now you can plan accordingly.

AZBuck

Default Unpredictable?

I guess it's a little unpredictable? When I went, last August, I was told to take gloves and a hat as it got unbearable cold at night. In the end I ended up sleeping on top of my sleeping bag! Okay, we did finish off a bottle of JD between the two of us, so my memory could be a little hazy, but I really don't remember it being cold at all. Guess you've just gotta be prepared for all eventualities! (sorry, that's not much help LOL)

Default Yeah, be prepared for either

I froze in Flagstaff but was too tired to get out of my tent to go to my car for the extra blanket I hadn't bothered to get outta my car. I was really hot in Page. Next to Bryce, I went to sleep half out of my sleeping bag because it was pretty warm but the temperature really dipped before morning and I woke up cold and zipped myself into my bag and threw on another blanket.

This is if I'm remembering right. I could have the locations mixed up but my premise remains the same....these areas are close to Grand Canyon and probalby have somewhat similar weather yet they varied tremendously. It was hot in all these locations during the daytime.

I always take extra blankets, just in case. Of course, I sometimes forget them in the car. :-)

5. Default

fwiw, I was in Yosemite at the same time last year. The valley campsites were about 90 degrees F. at 9pm and in the 70's in the morning (upper meadows I'm sure were cooler). There was a heat wave in the area at the time. The same year I was in the south grand canyon campground for a spring break trip with six inches of fresh snow and temps at night in the teens (F).

Jeff

Default I think it will be warm again this year

Quote Originally Posted by wagn View Post
    fwiw, I was in Yosemite at the same time last year. The valley campsites were about 90 degrees F. at 9pm and in the 70's in the morning (upper meadows I'm sure were cooler). There was a heat wave in the area at the time.
    Thanks for the field report and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Great example of why it can be tricky to predict here in the southwest!

Mark

We stayed at Grand Canyon during the first week of September a few years ago, and temperatures were warm (though not overly hot) during the day, and chilly at night. In the early morning hours we definitely wore sweaters, but took them off by 9 or 10. We did alright with regular sleeping bags at night, but a fire after dark sure felt good. So, I'd recommend a regular sleeping bag along with an extra small blanket, and for clothing a sweater or two. Remember with the clothing, if you choose several layers instead of one or two bulk pieces it's easier to adjust to temperature differences throughout the day.