1. Default Seattle to Las Vegas in September

Brits who never been to the USA before and have 18 days to get from Seattle to Vegas - we want to take in as many points of interest on the way. So far we've been recommended to see Lake Tahoe, Yosemite and Death Valley - any other suggestions? Is Yellowstone feasible in this trip too?

Tucson, AZ

Default So Much Country, So Little Time

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are two completely different ways of making the journey between Seattle and Las Vegas. If you're going to make a round trip, you can do both, if not you're going to have to choose. The shorter way is to head inland from Seattle, cut across northeastern Oregon, southern Idaho and then come down through Utah to approach Las Vegas from the northeast. The routes involved (all motorways) are I-90/I-82/I-84/I-15 and the highlights (some involve side trips) would be Mount Ranier, the many sights of southern Idaho, the Great Salt Lake, Bryce Canyon, and Zion.

The slightly longer route that most people seem to be recommending is to come down the Pacific coast from Seattle and then head inland to cross the Sierra Nevada Mountains and Death Valley into Las Vegas. Them highways for this general route are I-5/CA-58/I-15. The highlights of going this way, most of which entail a fair amount of different or additional driving are Mount Ranier, the Oregon Coast, Crater Lake, Lake Tahoe, Virginia City, Yosemite, and Death Valley.

It's a tough choice, but one where there's really no wrong answer. Also, there are many more sites and sights along both routes, including incredible scenery on the way, so that either route will be immensely rewarding.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Yeah, you can do Yellowstone, too

With 18 days, if you take the route AZBuck suggested through Idaho and Utah, you would have time to veer up to Yellowstone. It's not far from where you turn south in Idaho to go to Utah. Just continue east in Idaho to Idaho Falls and then take Hwy 20 to the western entrance to Yellowstone. You could then take Hwy 89 through the Grand Tetons and back into Utah, through Salt Lake City, to catch the I-15 to Vegas.

Both routes AZ Buck gave you are good ones. It just depends on what you want to see the most on your trip. I hope you're doing a roundtrip so you can take both routes. I've done both and they are both great drives. It would be hard for me to choose between the two.

4. Default Thanks folks

Mmm - you've really got us debating now! It's a one way trip so it looks like we'll have to toss a coin 'cause neither of us can decide.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Heads or tail?

I've done that many times myself. Sometimes during spur-of-the-moments while on the road, and sometimes for the main route like you're facing doing. Because all roads have their virtues, sometimes that's about the best you can do. It would be nice to have the time and money to do 'em all, wouldn't it?

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Instead of flipping a coin, you might seriously check via google, maps, and other resources about the places along the way and determine which ones call out to you the most.

Personally, if this was my only chance to travel in these areas, I think I would go via Yellowstone. But then you'll want to check into lodging in the area to see if you can find a place. Areas like this can get booked up early. But that's me. Your choice might be different. Let us know what you decide and maybe we can help you fine-tune your trip a bit more. Enjoy!