Thread: Prep for a trip

Default Prep for a trip

Alright, first off, thank you all before hand for reading this and any info you can give me.

My girlfriend, my best friend, his girlfriend, and I are all going to take a road trip from Auburn, Washington, to San Francisco. I'm the only one of them with a full time job because they're all in school still. (I'll be 19 when we leave, my buddy just turned 18 last week, the ladies are both 17) My friend and his girlfriend both have part time jobs, and my girlfriends family is pretty rich. So for the first question, how much money should we be looking to have at the start of this trip? We're leaving the week after the 4th of July, and we want to have a good time between here and san fran, I was thinking at least 2,000 dollars between the 4 of us with a daily budget. But will that be too little?

Another question (there's a few here:-) Between washington and san francisco, what are some places that you all would recomend we go see?
    we're heading to seaside oregon, and maybe the oregon vortex, and when we get to san francisco we all have our ideas of what to do there, but any reccomendations would be wonderful.

I'll cut this short with one last question, what sort of supplies are a must? None of us have ever been on a road trip (on our own at least) so like before, anything is helpful.

Thank you all again, and safe travels.

-Robert lansdell

Tucson, AZ

Default Planning Basics

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

How much money you'll all need is really up to you and the style you adopt for your travels. In particular, it depends on how long you'll be on the road. Judy wrote a great review of estimating costs, so start there and add in some extra for 'nights out' along the way.

The area you plan to see is one of those that has been discussed fairly often on these forums, so besides the 'Similar Threads' listed at the bottom of this page, be sure to follow the links in this post to some of the best. What to take with you is another topic, oft discussed and oft debated. With 4 in the car, you're going to have to keep your baggage to a minimum. Read through this thread (it takes a while to get 'on subject') for some seasoned travelers' thoughts.