The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Ten for the Road

Do you know of ten great places to visit in the Midwest with populations under 20,000? The good folks at Midwest Living Magazine have compiled just such a list.

Here they are, in no particular order:

Ephraim/Fish Creek, Wi.
    Petroskey/Charlevoix, Mi.
    Galena, Il.
    Madison, In.
    Saugatuck/Douglas, Mi.
    Nashville, In.
    Bayfield, Wi.
    Put-in-Bay, Oh
    Stillwater, Mn.
    Mackinac Island area, Mi.

I, myself, have been to Ephraim, Galena, Madison, Saugatuck, Put-in-Bay, and Stillwater.

2. Default

I'm only a year and a half late in responding to this, but I must concur with the two that I'm familiar with, which are Stillwater, MN and Bayfield, WI. Stillwater is absolutely beautiful but has very quickly become very touristy in the summer and fall months. (I live 45 minutes or so south in Minneapolis.)

Bayfield, WI is gorgeous and one of the more eerily perfect places I've ever been.

Default Less than 24 hours(?)

Quote Originally Posted by KeithMN View Post
    I'm only a year and a half late in responding to this,
    I may be lost, but, um.. RoadDog just posted this thread less than 24 hours ago -- how are you a year and half late with this reply?
    Bayfield, WI is gorgeous and one of the more eerily perfect places I've ever been.
    Eerily perfect? Wow, that sounds intriguing!

Mark

Default On Ephraim/Fish Creek, Wisconsin

Better known as Door County, and a major destination in the Midwest, especially for us Illinoisians. Summers are very crowded and especially so come the fall color time. Make your reservations plenty early. The area is somewhat dead during the winter though, and most places are closed.

In the spring they have a tour of many of the lighthouses, of which there are plenty.

One thing you must do there is have a Door County Fish Boil. There are actually flames in the kettle when the boil happens. Mighty good eating.

We spent the night at the Trollhaugen Lodge in Ephraim and weren't too happy to find it is a dry town, but fortunately found a nearby town in which to slake our thirst.

Also, there was a band out of Manitowac, Wi., called the Happy Schnaaps Combo that you have to see to believe. Their music is described as Polka on Acid, and you'll know why. Some of their songs are "Pull My Finger", "PMS Polka", and "The Bears Still Suck". Being a Bears fan, I had mixed emotions about the last one, but it was hilarious.

No THEY Don't. --RoadDog

Default Galena, the Town that History Forgot

At one time, Galena was one of the biggest cities in Illinois, but that was until the local lead mines played out in the 1850s. The town then stagnated until the late sixties when it was "discovered" again.

The main street area still looks as it did back then. Definite stops are the Grant House, and its statue of his wife which has caused controversy because it looks just like Mrs. Butterworth. The DeSoto House Hotel played host to Abraham Lincoln (and we're coming up on the bicentennial of his birth in 2009) and was campaign headquarters for Grant when he ran for president.

We especially like the Log Cabin, a great steakhouse dating back to the 1930s.

Default Oh, my...it does!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog View Post
    Definite stops are the Grant House, and its statue of his wife which has caused controversy because it looks just like Mrs. Butterworth.
    I can't quit chuckling. It looks like a caricature instead of a real person. Almost like a cartoon character. Bizarre and, yup, definitely worth seeing, I think. LOL