Just returned from our California Road trip. Briefly, our trip was Las Vegas to Yosemite, via Death Valley and Tioga Pass; then on to San Francisco via Interstate 5 to Lodi, Route 12 to Fairfield, Santa Rosa, and Jenner; then down the coast to John Muir Beach ( this is a great coast road, better I thought then Big Sur); then to John Miur woods. Spent 2.5 days in San Francisco, then doiwn coast road to Cambria; then route 46 to Paso Robles; then on to Kings Canyon, Sequoia, National Parks; then back to Vegas. Total Road trip time was 11 days, and about 2000 miles
Saw too many things to list them all, but here are a few things I most enjoyed;
1. Death Valley.
2. Bakery in Bishop
3. Tioga Road
4. Mariposa Grove In Yosemite
5. Glacier Point view in Yosemite
6. Windmills on route 12 west of Lodi
7. US 1, Jenner to San Francisco
8. Golden Gate bridge
9. Cable cars in Frisco
10. Pizza in small Italian pub in Frisco.
11. Sea Lions on pier near Fishermans Wharf.
12. Elephant seals on beach near Cambria
13. Views from Kings Canyon Valley Road.
14. Giant Sequoia's
15. Our three night stay in Rustic Cabin at Grant grove. We just loved that. The cabin had no bath, but a bath house was nearby. What we liked most was the covered patio with it's old fashioned outdoor cookstove. We really enjoyed sitting around that stove in the chill of the evening, and making coffee on it in the morning. What a great, almost like camping, experience.
Thanks for the advice from this forum. It really helped us plan the trip.